GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It Just Died....please help

Default It Just Died....please help

I have been away from you guys for a couple of years, but, I'm back. My 1989 525i just died. Sitting at a traffic light and everthing just shut down. No power, no emergency flashers, nothing....just put in a new alternator last week. Any ideas? Please?

check the fuse that's by the battery in the black plastic thing on the front of the strut tower, it's a 80 amp strap fuse and it can corrode and or crack due to age, if the bimmer dealer doesn't have one the mercedes dealer has them for glow plug relays on old diesels, ask for a 80 amp glow plug relay fuse for a 84 300d turbo if you need to go to mercedes
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks! I had trusty E34 is storage for 2 years, good to be back. FYI she is a 1989 525i with 430,000 kms....I think I will be asking for more advice since she is now a daily driver again.

430,000kms translates to how many miles?
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

X 0.6 = 258K miles, still an impressive number.
    Is this the infamous fusible link? Anyone have a pic of it, for IIRC, my battery cable leads quickly dissappear into the floor pan - and is not apparent beside the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by GS535i
    Is this the infamous fusible link? Anyone have a pic of it, for IIRC, my battery cable leads quickly dissappear into the floor pan - and is not apparent beside the battery.
    Your battery's also under the rear seat; the M20 525 cars located the battery under the hood.

best, whit

you have two fusable links by the battery under the back seat, one for the cars electronics that you can see and a hidden one for the motor

Quote Originally Posted by GS535i
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Lowell, there is a pic of the fusible link on the www.bmwe34.net site. Over the last 12 years I have owned this car, I love it, and have rebuilt it with parts from Bruno. I'm just worried that it maybe coming to its last legs...anyone have an e34 with more than 430,000 kms (238,000 miles ) on it? Any advice would be welcome and appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailesh
    Lowell, there is a pic of the fusible link on the www.bmwe34.net site. Over the last 12 years I have owned this car, I love it, and have rebuilt it with parts from Bruno. I'm just worried that it maybe coming to its last legs...anyone have an e34 with more than 430,000 kms (238,000 miles ) on it? Any advice would be welcome and appreciated.
    My 1989 E34 525i (M20) has 226,000 miles and going strong. I'm real interested to see what's going on with yours. Hopefully it's something simple.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

From the E32:
    Thsi fuse is for the BC and for the DWA.
    http://www.neukaemper-partner.de/BMW/bc1.jpg
    http://www.neukaemper-partner.de/BMW/bc2.jpg
    http://www.neukaemper-partner.de/BMW/bc4.jpg
    http://members.roadfly.com/hairwithi...removaltxt.jpg

The ribbed metal case attached to the battery holder is the control module for the EDC system

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast