GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I put some new pads on - a bedding in question

Default I put some new pads on - a bedding in question

it took about 90 mins for the left side and around 45 mins for the right. This was my first attempt at it. Damm it's easy. Just remove the two 19mm caliper bolts and your almost there. I didn't bleed the brakes, just removed some brake fluid and put new stuff in. For my bedding in procedure, I drove around for 5 minutes to warm them up, then did around 12 60-10mph brake tests on full braking over a period of 5 minutes and then let it cool down for another 5, then stopped the car. I could smell the pads after I switched off the car. Should I bed them in tommorrow again, or will this be adequate?

Default Not to correct you Kriss but you don't usually remove the 19mm bolts, you

usally remove the rubber caps on the back of the sliding pins and then use an allen socket to remove the sliding pins, then remove the caliper, that way you can inspect the sliding pins and all other moving parts on the brakes to make sure that everything is ok. You don't usually remove the caliper mounting bracket unless your replacing the rotors. I would advise you to still inspect your caliper sliding pins to make sure that the caliper slides smoothly on them.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    it took about 90 mins for the left side and around 45 mins for the right. This was my first attempt at it. Damm it's easy. Just remove the two 19mm caliper bolts and your almost there. I didn't bleed the brakes, just removed some brake fluid and put new stuff in. For my bedding in procedure, I drove around for 5 minutes to warm them up, then did around 12 60-10mph brake tests on full braking over a period of 5 minutes and then let it cool down for another 5, then stopped the car. I could smell the pads after I switched off the car. Should I bed them in tommorrow again, or will this be adequate?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    usally remove the rubber caps on the back of the sliding pins and then use an allen socket to remove the sliding pins, then remove the caliper, that way you can inspect the sliding pins and all other moving parts on the brakes to make sure that everything is ok. You don't usually remove the caliper mounting bracket unless your replacing the rotors. I would advise you to still inspect your caliper sliding pins to make sure that the caliper slides smoothly on them.
    Thanks Bill. I noticed in the Bently's manual outlines the procedures the way you say to do it. However, I don't have an allen socket set, only allan keys, so I cannot remove them this way. One of the piston caliper boots is 1/2 way off, I couldn't put it back on properly. I'm thinking I won't worry about it now, becasue I'm going to 540 calipers soon.

Did you follow the manufacturers directions on bed in? I see most manufacturers have different procedures. I did mine twice but still dont think that they bedded properly...what can you do? They seem to stop MUCH better than the old pads though.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I read this link

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...t=bedding+pads

and then I tried to follow this

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Thats what I tried to do. I'm thinking I may need a second application. Its hard to easily get to 60mph, I live in the suburbs.

what brand pads do you have?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Kris - you should be fine now. You heat cycled the pads and you'll typically smell "brakes" when you do this. You shouldn't need to do it again.

BTW, just buy a 7mm hex drive socket for the brake pins. You'll need it for your 540 brakes as well.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

bedding brakes is all about heating the disks and then letting all the dust stay on it untill it cools ... I usually drive my car on a highway with few stops from 130M/h down to 60 or 70 then I drive them another 10 min ... u will feel them braking better and thats when ur done. I thought you were going to 850 calipers right?

today he says he has problems with the reds...I dont follow at all now.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    today he says he has problems with the reds...I dont follow at all now.
    I took the reds off, they were the old pads. I replaced them with some PBR Metal Master Pads on the front. It's fine now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast