GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: The pitman arm - does it wear out?

Default The pitman arm - does it wear out?

Recently I replaced my steering links. The play in the steering has reduced. When ordering my parts, I didn't buy a new pitman arm, Patrick from BMA said that this item didn't wear. Is this true? Or should it be replaced with the other items?

Default This is correct on Bmw, the center link on bmw has the

ball joints as part of it so you replace the center link instead, some other make of cars have the ball joint as part of the pittman arm so when it wears out you have to replace the pittman arm, but not the e34.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    Recently I replaced my steering links. The play in the steering has reduced. When ordering my parts, I didn't buy a new pitman arm, Patrick from BMA said that this item didn't wear. Is this true? Or should it be replaced with the other items?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    ball joints as part of it so you replace the center link instead, some other make of cars have the ball joint as part of the pittman arm so when it wears out you have to replace the pittman arm, but not the e34.
    Thanks very much Bill, it's the ball joint you look out for okay. Thanks. I realise now our cars has steering links as opposed to a rack and pinion setup. I didn't know the difference untill a few days ago. Is that why there's a bit of play in the middle of the steering?

Default Yes , worm and ball is never as tight as rack and pinion but its

much stronger, which is why until very recently in terms of car development no trucks had rack and pinion.. mercedes have worm and ball for the same reason. Only within the last ten years or so have they claimed that they now make a rack and pinion unit beefy enough to work on trucks and bigger heavier cars.. the tradeoff is that the gearbox isn't quite as precise feeling as rack and pinion. Some on center play is normal with worm and ball or recirculating ball steering.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    Thanks very much Bill, it's the ball joint you look out for okay. Thanks. I realise now our cars has steering links as opposed to a rack and pinion setup. I didn't know the difference untill a few days ago. Is that why there's a bit of play in the middle of the steering?

...although the E34's have some of the tightest recirculating-ball steering boxes I've ever driven. Not the same as my uncle Cadillac DeVille land yacht!

Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

on very rare occaision i have encountered a pittman arm loose on a e34 steering box, tightening it fixed it and it had not gotten worn enough to hurt anything, the bushing on the idler arm can wear out and sloppy up the steering, so can the center link aka center tie rod
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    on very rare occaision i have encountered a pittman arm loose on a e34 steering box, tightening it fixed it and it had not gotten worn enough to hurt anything, the bushing on the idler arm can wear out and sloppy up the steering, so can the center link aka center tie rod
    cool. thanks for your help guys. I have one more query, are the TRW and Lemforder center tie rods exactly the same item?

they will both fit and do the job, not sure which one lasts longer if that's the question
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it