GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-Bmw coolant? Harmful?

Default Non-Bmw coolant? Harmful?

Im replacing my radiator, but the closest BMW Stealer is far from home... Is it really harmful to use non-BMW coolant, or is that just talk?

i forget what coolant is acceptable and what will tear up the system. But i always play it on the safe side and use bmw coolant. You can order it from bav auto for about $17 a gallon, but remember that you dilute it 50/50 with water so every gallon of coolant equals two gallons in the car. It is really not too expensive. Not near as expensive as it would be to replace parts that could get damaged from using the wrong coolant. I am sure that someone else know what coolants are acceptable for the system and which are not. Search the forum and i am sure you will find your answer.

bmw coolant does contain silicates, evidently they feel that the silicates are necessary to preven erosion of the aluminum surfaces and I would imagine head gaskets as well.
    Here a comment from George about this subject:
    the BMW blue is theoretically spec'ed.. by BMW to be compatible with cylinder head and/or block aluminum alloys and chosen composite gasket material in terms of silicates,
    phosphate content etc. For the best insurance, use the BMW coolant...maximizes head gasket life..no pitting or corrosion to the
    cylinder head etc. Me..though not precisely the same chemistry as
    BMW blue.which is Zerex G-48 coolant only available in bulk outside BMW dealerships, I use Zerex G-05 which is close in specification to G-48 and approved for Mercedes..but not for BMW.
    The critical issue is dump your coolant every two years and replenish with fresh fluid to liberate acidity/contaminants.
    I strongly advise against using Dexcool in a BMW.
    George
    90 735iL/145k

allright thanks guys, i guess a trip to the stealer in order...

Since the price on coolant just doubled I went with pentosol (sp?), it's blue stuff made in Germany. Goes for about $10 from BMA. The way I see it, if it's made in Germany, it should do OK on German cars.

Default possible alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Pofke13LT
    allright thanks guys, i guess a trip to the stealer in order...
    ONe possible alternative is to get either Saab coolant. In the US, BMW "blue" coolant is Zerex G-48, made by Valvoline. Saab blue coolant is supposedly the same stuff.

In the SF bay area, BMW coolant has risen to about $22-30 PER GALLON. I found one Saab dealer who will sell his blue stuff for a little over $12 per gallon. Guess what I'm getting next.....

cool blue....
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I use Zerex G-05, and for the 8 years the car was driven before I owned it, it had green stuff in it, and my headgasket is still fine, and there's no scale in the head.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

I think the main main thing is not to mix different coolants and change the coolant regularly. I prefer to use BMW Cool Blue.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Well I just finished replacing my radiator, and it was disgustingly simple, glad I didnt pay the mechanic to do it like my pops suggested... The hardest part was the agonizingly slow emptying/filling process.. Ended up getting the BMW Blue stuff.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast