GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Overheating

Default Overheating

I am living in Jamaica and I just bought a 1989 525i and while I was driving I realised that the temperature guage is on the red mark. The mechanic bled the system but the needle just moved right back towards the red area.Also, the previous owner used an incorrect spark plug and two are now stuck. Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by julielewis
    I am living in Jamaica and I just bought a 1989 525i and while I was driving I realised that the temperature guage is on the red mark. The mechanic bled the system but the needle just moved right back towards the red area.Also, the previous owner used an incorrect spark plug and two are now stuck. Help!!!
    My 1989 525i was having cooling problems, especially in stop and go traffic. The main culprit was the original radiator. There was some rust in it and the small weeper hole back to the expansion tank was clogged. We probalbly need more details to help you out.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by julielewis
    I have heard before and recently learned for myself, replace the tstat. first. Even if it wasn't bad before you likely cooked it running in the red. It is easy and cheap to replace. If that doesn't solve your problem search the old threads for overheating, lots of info. there.
    CK1995
    E34 525i M20 1990
    E36 323is 1998

I had the same problem (overheating). Cleaned out the weeper hole between the radiator and expansion tank (if you open the expansion tank cap you'll see it). Replaced the thermostat...it still overheated. Replaced the waterpump, that fixed it. The old one had died. If you replace it make sure you get one with metal impellers, not the plastic ones.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/overheating.htm

This will help you understand the issues and work through you diagnosis or at least be conversant when you talk to the mechanic. A big part of figuring it out has to do with whether it overheats on the open road, just in stop and go traffic, or when you have turned it off and turn it back on before it has fully cooled.

A piece of friendly advice. Don't drive it until you get it fixed. Overheating fries lots of other stuff and the cost of repairing can go up substantially it you let it happen again. With that said, it is a really common problem. Every other post in June was related to overheating.

And welcome to this board. Your name looks like you might be a girl. As far as I know, I am the only girl active on this board, so I hope you are a girl. If you are not, welcome anyway.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler