GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Quick Thermostat question

Default Quick Thermostat question

I keep getting the Coolant Level message, but no problem with the level when I look at it, so I'm gonna change the Coolant Level Sensor and while i've got it drained I might as well change the thermostat. I went to BMA for a price on a new one and I saw 3 diffrent ones with diffrent Degrees listed. My question is which one to use. Does the degree mean what temp it opens at? and if so then what would be the right one for where I live? North Carolina in the summer is quite hot (95F and up). Any advice would help.
    Jim

I was very curious about the same thing when I did my coolant system overhaul a couple of weeks ago. I got the Vernet 80 degree thermostat from BMA and drilled the small hole in it. So far every things worked out great. I was contemplating going to the dealer for this part.

I wish my 1989 only had 166,000 miles on it. I've got 225,00 and counting, but its running great.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

i like 80-87 units, the m20 e34's cooling system is a notorious bitch to bleed and get to burp, i've seen more then one motor get roasted and need a head gasket due to a air pocket keeping the thermostat cool and closed, hense the need for drilling a hole and even then they don't allways want to burp
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    i like 80-87 units, the m20 e34's cooling system is a notorious bitch to bleed and get to burp, i've seen more then one motor get roasted and need a head gasket due to a air pocket keeping the thermostat cool and closed, hense the need for drilling a hole and even then they don't allways want to burp
    Pouring coolant on the upper hose to the engine block and then inserting it to the radiator when the coolant seems to overflow seems to work for me, I'd then fill the radiator up through the radiator cap and I usually get little burps,never had problems with this procedure. Let me know if anyone have done this procedure before and if its also working for you.

i did that on the last head job i did a couple weeks ago and it still didn't want to burp right away but it helps
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it