GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: V-Belt and Fan Problems on the Autobahn

Mike K Guest

Default V-Belt and Fan Problems on the Autobahn

I have a Euro-spec 1991 525i with the M50 engine. It has over 215K kilometers and runs well.

As I was driving home this afternoon, I heard a muffled "clunk" as if I had run over some small debris on the Autobahn. A few moments later, the battery (alternator), Parking Brake and ABS lights came on. I also noticed that the steering was a little stiffer than normal. As soon as I saw the temperature climbing, I realized that the V-belt broke and none of the engine-driven components were operating.

I turned on the heater full blast to reduce the temperature and this kept it well under the red zone until I parked (I was only three kilometers from home). I lifted the hood and found the smaller belt on top of the motor and the larger belt just hanging from the fan. Both belts were intact although the larger belt has a nick on the ribbed side and must be replaced. There does not appear to be any wear on either belt and they were both replaced by the dealer three months ago during Inspection II.

I was going to put both belts back on to enable me to drive to the dealer and have them replaced, but the entire fan assembly is loose. It feels like the fan and pulley are one assembly and this is wobbling where it mounts to the engine. Is this the sign of something horrible or has something come loose and I can easily fix it?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

sounds like the water pump bearing died
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Mike K Guest

Default Thanks Winfred!

It's off to the local garage tomorrow. I do not see a need to take it to the dealer for a water pump.

Many thanks,
    Mike