GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic seatbelt height

Default Automatic seatbelt height

hey guys, can someone help here?

my front seatbelts no longer adjust up or down with seat movement, i found the wires off under the seats, but one problem i dont know where or how they fit on again, can someone help???

Note, my car doesnt have electric seats
    Last edited by iainand; 07-31-2005 at 05:46 AM.
    Iain

1993 BMW 525 TDS SE 150K 2.5 Turbo Diesel, performance air filter, lowered sports suspension 30mm, full stainless decat exhaust, boot-lid spoiler, OBC retrofit, E60 Trapezoid alloys

Default Might not be the problem

maybe it is the same as the seat twist problem where the end of the cable has come out of the drive gear.You may need to shorten the cable outer a bit.
    There are various wires under the seat that arent used...ie heated seats ,memory seats,etc.
    I am pretty sure the seatbelt height is driven straight off the fore aft movement motor....i might be wrong tho..
    Gone but not forgotten

There is no motor involved. just a cable attached to the seat.
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...27&hg=72&fg=05

The mechanical seat belt height adjuster works on a steel cable.

The cable has a 'clip-thing' attached to the end, which a fastening clasp goes thru, then thru a whole in the seat frame, then the clasp clips over the 'clip-thingy'. Confused??

Hope my scrawled diagrams help....
    Last edited by Nick.Hay; 08-01-2005 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Fixed size of pic... Someone posted the thumbnail image...

Gone but NEVER forgotten. :'(

And then...

Default thanks for diagrams and photos guys

i will have a look under my seats again, think the clips have gone, but i know the end of the cables are ok tho
    Iain

1993 BMW 525 TDS SE 150K 2.5 Turbo Diesel, performance air filter, lowered sports suspension 30mm, full stainless decat exhaust, boot-lid spoiler, OBC retrofit, E60 Trapezoid alloys

Great diagrams Nick. Inspires me to tackle something that has been bugging me. Shogun you must have a great camera--the pictures are always so clear and sharp.

Something is not right with 3 of the 4 front belts on our 525 and 535. They function ok from a safety point but when we unlatch them, the excess belt does not retract on 3 of them. The excess just flops around and gets caught in the door. Is that what this wire and clip do, make that excess retract, or is this thread talking about a different problem?

I wouldn't think of that as a "height adjustment" but I obviously have not recognized a height adjustment when I have seen one cause I have no clue what that means.

If this thread is not about my seatbelt problem, what does fix it?
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Gayle, the wire attaches to the outboard seat rail, as many have noted, routes through a guide wheel mounted at the front of the frame on the floor and up the b pillar to the seat belt mechanism. "Height Adjustable" means that as the seat is moved forward or backward, the tracking point for the belt moves to compensate the *predicted* height of the seat occupant based on the distance from the seat to the steering wheel. It's not that technical, only a cable fastened at two ends with some spring tension in between to keep things tight.

If the adjust mechanism is broken or the cable latch is disconnected from the seat: the belt height adjuster will bottom out and stay that way regardless of where the seat moves (forward/backward). This will sometimes cause the belt to get caught (ratcheted in place as it should under extreme movement) if the seat is moved around (all the way back, then moved foward). Passengers complain because they seemingly can't get the belt off of the wall; it usually unlocks itself if the seat is moved backwards and forwards again.

best, whit

someday I really have to see whats missing under my drivers seat...this is all the info I need but I think my bracket thing is gone.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Does any one know the part no. for the bolt, that attatches to the clip on the wire, to the seat rail?

Is there some sort of spring tension inside the black wheel on the floor, which the wire goes through? Meaning, that on both my seats, when I move the seat forward, the seatbelt adjuster is supposed to move down. But it doesn´t and there is plenty of slack on the wire lying on the floor. Not until i pull on the seatbelt itself, the adjuster goes to the right place.

What part no. do I need to fix the adjuster on both my seats?

Thanks for any input

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast