GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power mirrors problem in gearchange

Default power mirrors problem in gearchange

OK, the second of my two 525is is having a problem. It is a 1989 manual gearbox 525i fully optioned. The battery has been discharging overnight, and I think I have found the drain. My Passenger side power mirror motor is moving constantly at random depending on which gear the car is in. If its in reverse or 1st, the mirror moves all over the place.

I thought I could disconnect the power to the mirrors by pulling the mirror control switch out, and removing the plug from the back of it. So now the mirror switch is disconnected from the harness. Despite this, the power mirror on the passenger side is STILL moving. I really need to solve this problem to get the car reliable.

I thought that if the switch was unplugged from the harness, there would be no power getting to it and nothing would happen, but it is still happening.

So, Im thinking that since the wires to that mirror have to go under the gear linkage to get to the passenger side of the car, maybe the cables are loose under the linkage and getting bumped when the car changes into certain gears.

This is really urgent, as this thing is discharging the battery overnight and making the car unable to start each morning, so a fast reply would be really apreciated!!!

pull fuses until it stops...put the fuse back in in the morning..
    Gone but not forgotten

If you can read wiring diagrams, on my website below there are these online.

I assume that the wire loom going from the A-post into the door is broken, quite often this happens, usually drivers side.
    Last edited by shogun; 07-31-2005 at 08:38 AM.

Default Do you have memory seats? ...

They self adjust the mirror in reverse, may be you have an issue with the Transmission range switch, sending wrong signals to the Seat/mirror memory module.

Javier

If your battery is under the rear seat...use your quick battery disconnect wire until you sort the problem out...that way you don't have to jump start the car each morning. You will lose your clock and radio (hopefully you have the radio's CODE)

I always forget when the battery was moved to under the rear seat on the e34..but if your battery is under the rear seat...the "quick" discconnect wire is on the vertical (carpeted) section under the passenger side rear seat...just in front of where the battery rests on the other side.

* pry off the plastic cover:

* then undo the nut and remove the 2nd protective cover (I guess this is there in case kids pry off the 1st cover):

* this is the "quick" disconnect wire:
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    They self adjust the mirror in reverse, may be you have an issue with the Transmission range switch, sending wrong signals to the Seat/mirror memory module.

Javier
    that's an interesting point...on the e38 (which comes standard with memory seats)...a malfunctioning seat switch (driver's side)...can cause the mirror, seat and steering wheel to mysteriously move on its own...or not return to the original setting.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

That was my question...But I'm not sure if a fully optioned '89 525 could have memory.

If it does have memory: there's a separate harness that runs from the memory control unit to the mirror. If it's setup like I think it is, the mirrors and potentially the steering column are on their own harness, and the memory control unit delivers all power to them. Deteriorated wiring, bad modules, out of whack potentiometers are all par for this course.

If it's NON memory...then I've got no ideas

best, whit

Guys, guys, guys... read your manuals!!

The passenger mirror automatically dips when reverse gear is selected to assist with reversing.

This feature can be turned on or off by selecting the 'mirror selector switch' on the driver's door.

Therefore, try switching the mirror selector switch on the door to the OTHER position to deactivate this auto feature.

PLEASE say my credibility is restored after said 'fuel saver' debacle??!

Ian

Default Only on memory seats models.

The passenger mirror automatically dips when reverse gear is selected to assist with reversing.

Javier

Quote Originally Posted by EonPeon
    Guys, guys, guys... read your manuals!!

This feature can be turned on or off by selecting the 'mirror selector switch' on the driver's door.

Therefore, try switching the mirror selector switch on the door to the OTHER position to deactivate this auto feature.

PLEASE say my credibility is restored after said 'fuel saver' debacle??!

Ian
    Ian....C'mon buddy, did you even read the post?!

My Passenger side power mirror motor is moving constantly at random depending on which gear the car is in. If its in reverse or 1st, the mirror moves all over the place.

I thought I could disconnect the power to the mirrors by pulling the mirror control switch out, and removing the plug from the back of it. So now the mirror switch is disconnected from the harness. Despite this, the power mirror on the passenger side is STILL moving. I really need to solve this problem to get the car reliable.

That fuel saver thing....I don't know if we can forgive you for that one That's right up there with sticking a coffee can on the (dual) exhaust.

hehehe.

best, whit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast