Thread: Can ACS+t be turned off?

Default Can ACS+t be turned off?

title says it all

thanks,

Sal
    1995 530i 5-Speed

Unregistered Guest

just push the button

Default Pull da fuse? or hold the button for 10 secs?

nt
    Last edited by Scott H; 02-25-2004 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typos

Default What do you mean hold for 10 sec.

Does this permanently disable the ASC+T until you "turn it on" again via the switch? If so, this is new

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    nt
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default I'm under the impression it works the same as DSC (M)

on the newer cars...........at least it seemed to work that way on my buddy's 95 540ia. Hold button down for 10 seconds, light flashes, then ASC is of until you restart the car (reboot the computer)

Default Just did some "research"

I have a '95 540 with ASC and just went out for a spin on a rainy day here in Atlanta to get to the bottom of this. The manual for my car says nothing about the 10-second thingy.

Your explanation didn't make sense to me, because the system is turned off (or on) instantly with a simple click of the button - no need to hold for 10 seconds. So I was curious about what the point would be of a "hard" turnoff where you can't turn it back on again without restarting the car (especially since it always defaults to being on when you the car is started).

Sure enough, when I held the button in, the ASC light went out after 10 seconds and I could no longer turn it on and off by clicking the button.

While driving, however, I noted that the light still flashed on and off and that power to the wheels was cut when I lost traction. In other words, traction control was "on." So my report is that when you hold the ASC button in for 10 seconds, the system is locked in the ON position (not the OFF position) until the car is restarted.

I'm guessing this is some sort of safety feature? Maybe to protect against little button-pushing fingers? Doesn't quite add up though - I would be very interested to uncover the logic behind it. The system is on when you start the car, you can turn it on and off at will by clicking the switch, yet there is a way to lock the system on for as long as the car is on?

Wassup with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    on the newer cars...........at least it seemed to work that way on my buddy's 95 540ia. Hold button down for 10 seconds, light flashes, then ASC is of until you restart the car (reboot the computer)

Default kinda like how e34s have heated mirrors but no switch to tell you if theyre on or not

Quote Originally Posted by G Feller
    I have a '95 540 with ASC and just went out for a spin on a rainy day here in Atlanta to get to the bottom of this. The manual for my car says nothing about the 10-second thingy.

Your explanation didn't make sense to me, because the system is turned off (or on) instantly with a simple click of the button - no need to hold for 10 seconds. So I was curious about what the point would be of a "hard" turnoff where you can't turn it back on again without restarting the car (especially since it always defaults to being on when you the car is started).

Sure enough, when I held the button in, the ASC light went out after 10 seconds and I could no longer turn it on and off by clicking the button.

While driving, however, I noted that the light still flashed on and off and that power to the wheels was cut when I lost traction. In other words, traction control was "on." So my report is that when you hold the ASC button in for 10 seconds, the system is locked in the ON position (not the OFF position) until the car is restarted.

I'm guessing this is some sort of safety feature? Maybe to protect against little button-pushing fingers? Doesn't quite add up though - I would be very interested to uncover the logic behind it. The system is on when you start the car, you can turn it on and off at will by clicking the switch, yet there is a way to lock the system on for as long as the car is on?

Wassup with that?

Heated mirrors automatically activate when the outside temperature is below 37.5F

The 10 sec ASC+T button hold down feature disables the automatic application of brakes to reduce wheelspin.

Default Thought heated mirrors on at all times?

So other aspects of Asc+t work (such as engine power reduction)with the 10 sec hold down activated? Why did they do this and not state in manual?

Quote Originally Posted by David Chen
    Heated mirrors automatically activate when the outside temperature is below 37.5F

The 10 sec ASC+T button hold down feature disables the automatic application of brakes to reduce wheelspin.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default Not quite David, its more like this...

Quote Originally Posted by David Chen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast