GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drivers side door lock stays up after manual unlocking procedure

Default Drivers side door lock stays up after manual unlocking procedure

First I must say this is a great board with a great group of guys dedicated to a great car the E34.
    Now to the problem. I didn't fully close my trunk Wednesday night and I didn't drive it on Thursday. This morning I was looking forward to a quick trip in the 535i to visit my son (200 miles round trip). Go to open the door to leave and I can't get in. Do a little head scratching and say a few explicatives and find the trunk is not fully closed. Duh. No sweat. I know I have seen of a way to get in somewhere.
    I search my Bentley. Found it. It states up to 7/90 use the driver's side door. After that use the passenger side. My car was built 9/90. The vague as usual instructions get me no where. The Mrs. convinces me to abandon the problem and take the E12. Another great car. I flog it there and back. Now I return to the 535i. Log on to this great site and do a search. A lot of hits (a common problem). I try the hood latch. Nope. I keep trying the passenger side (Bentley) to no avail. Power to the license plate light. Nope. What the Hell, I'll try the driver's side using Bill R's easy uncomplicated write up. Presto I'm in. After a jump start, I'm again listening to the sweet sound of That Eisenmann exhaust. Next let's synchronize the locks. What, the drivers door won't lock now. Please don't tell me I need to go into the door panel. All the other doors and trunk lock.
    Help and Thanks Again,
    Willobmw
    1990 535i approaching 112k miles
    1981 528i approaching 88k miles
    1975 2002 over 300k and still counting(although very slowly)

if you have all the locks in the same position after locking and unlocking acouple of times ,still no joy?If you sit in the car or lock the door from outside with the door closed and window down with the knob do all te other locks follow?Sometime this weekend i am gonna dive into mine..check the boot hinge wring then into the door
    Gone but not forgotten

I find the schrinization of the locks play up sometimes ( the drivers door stays unlocked) with all other doors are locked. you have to keep on playing with the drivers side lock, turning to both sides (full lock) and (full open) for a few minutes. its tricky sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    I find the schrinization of the locks play up sometimes ( the drivers door stays unlocked) with all other doors are locked. you have to keep on playing with the drivers side lock, turning to both sides (full lock) and (full open) for a few minutes. its tricky sometimes.
    Still won't lock.

if you have drivers door closed and push the knob down by hand ????
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by willobmw
    Still won't lock.
    My scenario is the drivers door won't lock but all the other doors will lock. they are un-schronised. normally on the first lock the 3 door lock and then about 1 second later unclock again. on the second time to lock the doors the 3 door remained locked but the drivers side didn't.

the method I use and I have done this twice within the last 12 months and I did it a few days ago. try to deadlock the car while lifting after the driver door handle. then try and open the door while putting the key all the way to the open position (as much as possible), but don't force the lock. I just try this for a few minutes back and forth. I also try and play around with the door, open and close it a few times while trying to lock and unlock. I know all this may seem a bit of non-sence, I just know I like my car to be locked and it worked for me. It is tricky. good luck

I already tried that. It won't budge. I'm going to try BigKriss's suggestion. I hope it works.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Willo

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    if you have drivers door closed and push the knob down by hand ????
    if you push the knob then you have to leave the car through another door becuase it's now locked.

I went and did some yard work, relaxed and then tried BigKriss's suggested method. It worked. Thanks BigKriss and everyone else for all the help. Like I said before what a great board.
    Willobmw

Quote Originally Posted by willobmw
    I went and did some yard work, relaxed and then tried BigKriss's suggested method. It worked. Thanks BigKriss and everyone else for all the help. Like I said before what a great board.
    Willobmw
    wow, good work mate. another job you don't have to pay someone to fix. It can take up to five minutes of fiddling around. Next time it happens I'll try and video tape it. This is maybe the easiest way to expain how to do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast