GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Long-shot question

Default Long-shot question

I know this is a long-shot but i need to see if any of you guys can help. This morning I found a small bolt and washer laying on the floor under the front end of my car that I can't figure out where it might have come from.

On the head of the bolt is stamped VERBUS 68. The bolt looks like a machine thread and is a 10mm and approx 1" long. Over the past few days I've noticed a slightly louder than normal noise (almost a quiet thumping) when running the compressor, but my eyesight is getting so bad I can't tell if maybe it is a bolt from the compressor pulley or possibly the aux. fan.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

I have no clue, but I'm interested in what this forum comes up with.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Oil pan bolts are famous for unscrewing. They are similar to what you've described.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default Theres a bolt and washer that holds the compressor clutch hub on thats about

that size also... if you reach around to the front of the compressor clutch hub you should be able to feel the bolt with your fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch90535im
    I know this is a long-shot but i need to see if any of you guys can help. This morning I found a small bolt and washer laying on the floor under the front end of my car that I can't figure out where it might have come from.

On the head of the bolt is stamped VERBUS 68. The bolt looks like a machine thread and is a 10mm and approx 1" long. Over the past few days I've noticed a slightly louder than normal noise (almost a quiet thumping) when running the compressor, but my eyesight is getting so bad I can't tell if maybe it is a bolt from the compressor pulley or possibly the aux. fan.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    that size also... if you reach around to the front of the compressor clutch hub you should be able to feel the bolt with your fingers.
    Feels like that might be it Bill. Something on the front of the compressor is definetly loose and rattling. I can feel it with my hand, but really can't see it.

Does anybody have a link to a parts diagram that would show the front of the compressor and bolt locations?
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

Default I currently can't post pictures otherwise i would post it. I'm sure someone here

knows that linkpage to the online etk to show you a pic of it. Its right in the center of the clutch pulley front plate, if you only feel a hole and can't feel the bolt then its gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch90535im
    Feels like that might be it Bill. Something on the front of the compressor is definetly loose and rattling. I can feel it with my hand, but really can't see it.

Does anybody have a link to a parts diagram that would show the front of the compressor and bolt locations?

Try this link. They have pictures of the pulleys so you can see the bolt location holes:

https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mak,B...6+FI+%5BM30%5D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    knows that linkpage to the online etk to show you a pic of it. Its right in the center of the clutch pulley front plate, if you only feel a hole and can't feel the bolt then its gone.
    I found the online ETK. Great pics. Well the center bolt and bolts that hold the face on seem to all be there. That thin plate on the front of the clutch plate does appear to have a bit of looseness and rattle, but I couldn't find any real reason for it. I'll check the oil pan bolts tomorrow when I have more light. If one has fallen completely out, chances are more are loose. Can't remember if I've ever checked them.

Thanks for your help. You guys are a great resource and have saved me untold $hundreds over the past 4 years.

Another thought- various bolts used to come loose on an old e30 I had- either front airdamn, or from the radiator drain panel thingy, fan shroud. Maybe do a twice over if you can get the car raised enough-