GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, Newbe On The Block

Default Hi, Newbe On The Block

Hi peeps, just wanted to introduce myself first

I'm currently a Volvo owner (dont laugh ) its no ordinary Ovlov (see sig)

But basically I was thinking changing it for along the lines of a 540 / M5 but am not too clued up on these and wanted your advice etc.

First and foremost how will either of these compare performance wise with my current car

Thanks

Steve

P.S. Love the site !!!!!
    Sam My 380hp / 440 lb/ft Volvo 850

See All The Pics Of SAM Here

haha, you'll be blown away by the handling. It looks like you have quite the T-5R there. The 850 is a great car, but it lacks the "feel" that the e34 has. Sounds like your particular 850 will destroy a 540 or M5 in a drag race, but on a track it will likely not handle as well as an E34. good luck! and welcome.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d
    haha, you'll be blown away by the handling. It looks like you have quite the T-5R there. The 850 is a great car, but it lacks the "feel" that the e34 has. Sounds like your particular 850 will destroy a 540 or M5 in a drag race, but on a track it will likely not handle as well as an E34. good luck! and welcome.
    Thanks for your reply.

Right I hear what you say and yes the old girls handling aint the best but what she does lack through the corners she more than makes up for on the straights.

So surely something can be done with the Beemers to make them at least equal to if not quicker than my Big Red Brick ?

Supercharger anyone ?

Steve
    Sam My 380hp / 440 lb/ft Volvo 850

See All The Pics Of SAM Here

i have a chance to get a 850 1995, with 111k miles on her for 3000-3500, how much dose it cost to get that horsepower/torque, dose it last?

Quote Originally Posted by Bracer
    Hi peeps, just wanted to introduce myself first

I'm currently a Volvo owner (dont laugh ) its no ordinary Ovlov (see sig)

But basically I was thinking changing it for along the lines of a 540 / M5 but am not too clued up on these and wanted your advice etc.

First and foremost how will either of these compare performance wise with my current car

Thanks

Steve

P.S. Love the site !!!!!
    Well I noticed this whilst checking out your 'Iced VoVo'.

An E30 with a turboed M5 motor?!! That should haul some serious posterior!

BTW - In case you're wondering what an 'Iced VoVo' is they are an Australian biscuit (cookie for the U.S. members).

The name is used over here to described any Volvo that has been modifed. 'Iced VoVo' read 'Riced Volvo'.
    Last edited by pundit; 07-26-2005 at 02:25 PM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

What good is all that power (especially to the front wheels) without control ?
    There is no comparison.
    As a former owner of a Volvo 850 AWD, there just is no comparison to the handling of the RWD E34. The Bimmer wins hands down.
    Try and you will become a convert.
    You can then worry about which engined version to get - there is something for everyone - and not forgetting the smoooooooothness !!!!!
    Last edited by Zeuk in Oz; 07-26-2005 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

go for a 540, add a chip (Mark makes a killer one for it) and dont look back. You WILL NOT have a 1/4 mile killer but will smoke em on the highway. I only have a 530 and havent been smoked by anything from an 80 roll, I mean thats where these cars are prime. I just cooked one of them new Chryler Hursts tryin to pass me on an incline and they had a merge lane, i kept her floored and after 60 it was getting close, they had to back down (I should have shut the air off) hehe screw Hemi... anyways if you look into a 540 or 30 or 35 or whatever do your research. Go check out Brunos site and look things over carefully and DO NOT buy anything without maintenance records! Look out for Nikasil (for others reasons not mine) and last but not least you can always gear these higher for more low end oomph, I did 3:15 to 3:64 and didnt loose an ounce per gallon but have a lot more low end around town and can still bake at blistering speeds cross country.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Love it!! I looked at a V70-R wagon instead of the E34... Tho Im glad I went with the BMW, I love the T5-R/V70-R shape!!

Gone but NEVER forgotten. :'(

And then...

Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    In case you're wondering what an 'Iced VoVo' is they are an Australian biscuit
    Not just any biscuit - they are what public servants eat with cups of tea when they should be back at the counter serving the great unwashed (us) !
    Oh to be a public servant .....

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Quote Originally Posted by Bracer
    Thanks for your reply.

Right I hear what you say and yes the old girls handling aint the best but what she does lack through the corners she more than makes up for on the straights.

So surely something can be done with the Beemers to make them at least equal to if not quicker than my Big Red Brick ?

Supercharger anyone ?

Steve
    I would keep your current car. You have done a lot of work to it. I'm sure if you spent some more money on suspsesnion mods will be a monster, add to the fact that it's already turbo charged, you can increase the turbo size blah blah blah. It would be hard for a stock e34 m5 to match your straight line speed now. you have plenty of ice. Something can be done to make the e34's seriously quick. its called turbo charging. unless you have a fat wallet, i don't see the point in changing over to an e34. I love my car, I'm looking from the perspective that I want to be slammed back into my seat when i hit the accelerator. this does not happen currently. I need big HP, that costs $$$$. as for what an e34 can handle like on the track. you can check out my sig pic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast