GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: Have I purchased a lemon?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course not. You have purchaed a fine auto that will see you many miles of happiness

26 92.86%
  • Yes

2 7.14%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello, My name is Ben and...

Default Hello, My name is Ben and...

..if I'm not careful I could become a bimmerholic.
    All I wanted was a car to get to work and back when I needed to go places the bus wouldn't, but now I've found there's a community and 'scene' to go with it! This could be dangerous!
    I've just bought (like a week ago!) a 1990 BMW 525i SE in Gold for the grand total of GBP800, christened by my 'friends' and now known forever as 'The Pimpmobile'. I'm really happy with it. I love the noise of the engine, I love the smoothness and control, the feeling of power and quality.
    It's a little worn inside (done 170k miles, so to be expected), but the outside is really good for a 15 year old car, a few small dents here and there, lacquer peeling around the bumpers in a couple of places, but not a spot of rust or stone chip damage.
    Problem is, I was blinded by the logo and now I'm starting to worry that I've bought a citrus flavoured fruit! Could I throw myself at the mercy of the forum and ask a few questions? I'll apologise now for writing so much, feel free to answer in installments!
    There is a slight drift to the right whilst driving. Nothing major, I'm not struggling for control, but when I'm struggling for a cd in the glove box it's annoying to find yourself on the wrong side of the road What should I look at? Is it a common problem? I've seen a couple of threads mention it, but they all drifted to the left. Is it becuase they drove on the wrong side of the road
    When I lock it, the car locks then unlocks itself. If I then lock it again, it stays locked. The same happens when I unlock the car. Is this a feature? If so, what's it doing? If not, what's it doing? It's a small thing, but as you go on, you'll see it's the small things that matter to me!
    When I test drove it, I noticed a very slight ticking from the engine. It seemed to be coming from the middle of the engine block, but I'm not experienced enough to have looked for anything specific. Nothing I've not heard before in a car, but not what I expected in a bmw, but it wasn't bad and I wanted the car. Now I'm worried it's getting a little louder. This may be paranoia setting in as I'm currently 600 miles across france with probably another 1000 miles to go before I get home, but I'm scared! How do I know it's nothing major? Is there button that shows a "relax, this is a normal sound" message?
    There is also another noise, a kind of ticky, graty(sp?), rumbly noise that stops when I dip the clutch. I'm not sure if this is the same noise I hear when I'm listening to the engine as I can't be in the engine and press the clutch at the same time, I'm hoping it is! I think! This isn't going to be an expensive fix it it?
    I have no owners manual, so I'm not sure how the heating's supposed to work, but I'm sure it's not like this. With both temperature things set to cold (why 2? What do they do? Can someone give me instructions on keeping warm or cool in my car please) or both to hot or one each way or whatever, the same thing happend. Air blowing out of the middle bank of blowers, ie to the face, is always cold air. Air blowing to the screen and to the feet is always red hot. Sometimes I like my feet to be cool too, that's not too much to ask is it?
    The passenger door does not unlock with the key. It's fine with central locking, but with a key, I'm scared of breaking something, possibly a blood vessel. On the subject of locks, the boot doesn't seem to lock or unlock with central locking. It locks and unlocks fine with the key, I can hear some sort of whirring noise when I use the key, but not when I centrally lock. The fuel cap doesn't lock either, but that's probably due to the mass of corrosion round the locking pin!
    I've mentioned about not having an owner's manual, where might I get one from? To remind you (I know it's a long way since the beginning of this post, I've had to look outside to check!) it's a 1990 525i SE, UK spec. Whilst I'm at it, there is no jack. Is this available anywhere (I know I can keep the bottle jack I'm using atm, but I'm anal!). Talking of anal, what about the rest of the toolkit? Is this available anywhere? I've found some stuff on bavauto, but I don't know what I should have in the first place! What about the triangle thingy. It hurt me deep inside to buy one in a plastic case to sit at the bottom of the boot when there's a perfectly nice place for it in the boot lid.
    Finally, what else should I know? What should I be looking/listening for to keep the Pimpmobile in the best of health? What should I be doing when? I keep hearing scary things about head gaskets and belts and things. What have I got into here? Good job I'm drunk right now, else I'd be sick with worry now I've written it all down in one place!
    I'm guessing that some of the minor problems I have documented are going to require spare parts. Can anyone recommend a UK, Yorkshire would be spiffing, source for BMW parts?
    I'm not bad at this DIY stuff. I can follow a recipie as well as the next man, it's diagnosis I have trouble with. Give me a database any day! I understand how they work! (Goblins if you are interested) Cars are just odd creatures that don't follow normal rules! The help of the denziens of this fine portal into the darkness of engines is greatfully accepted. Talking of the darkness, what happens when I run out of service lights? Is it a simple job to reset/turn off/ignore them after I've serviced it? Surely BMW don't expect to see this car ever again!

I'll try and attach a picture to this if possible, but in the mean time, a quick poll...

Have I purchased a lemon?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by oharab; 07-26-2005 at 05:02 PM.

I had the same problem with the trunk lock. Solving this problem also solved the problem with central locking (Locking, popping back up and locking - stay locked). If you go to the trunk hinge, you'll see a bunch of wires attached to the arm (Left Side). I'll bet one or more wires have been cut / broken. Repairing these wires fixed my problems. Welcome to the forum.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

LOL. Its called dual climate control, the two temp dials. the passagnder and driver can change the temp of their respective vents its pretty common on newer cars now-a-days.

As for the weird temps, there shuld be a rotary wheel in between the center vents, it spins from red to blue, blue being for hot and red being for cold. hopfully thats the problem.

if you search hard you can find links to online-versions of the owners manual you could check out.

the ticking is probably the valves- they must be periodically adjusted. not an issue.

oh, and the lock problem is pretty common. I forget if it's the wires that die or the locks themselves, but its not a huge huge issue, although repalcing the locking mechanisms would be a hassle I imagine.

the clutch noise might be related to the driveshaft/center bearing. these cars are like 80% rubber, and after 15 years rubber tends to go south

have you visited brunos site? www.bmwe34.net
    sometimes what's-where can be confusing, but just look around.

I'll number them for you.

1) (the slight drift issue) First, check tire (sorry, sorry -- TYRE ) pressure. Our cars are sensitive to such things, especially if the wheels/tires are custom. Beyond that, it's an alignment or strut/spring issue. Also, some "drift" is normal if you've got anything custom in terms of the ride (edit: suspension/tires); my car is incredibly sensitive to how much crown is in the road. Just something I live with and appreciate, but you should check said items before concluding that it's normal, especially since the car is a recent purchase.

2) (the locking issue) People on the board are working on this one...I think it's a microswitch issue in some cases, or even a faulty actuator. But the one thing to check is for frayed wires at the trunk lid harness (left side trunk arm). In short: in the network of actuators, if one "reports" a problem in the locking process, the system will reverse itself. A short in the bundle at the trunk lid is often the culprit.

3) The tick. Non-hydraulically adjusted valves do this. It could also be a dirty/worn injector.

4) ?

5) Two temperature "things": that's called climate control, each side can, in theory, have a different temp. Hot air with the system turned off is a dead heater valve (do a search, we talk about it a lot ) EDIT: or possibly a bad control interface.

6) The owners manual issue. Someone's digitized it; do a forum search or it's probably on Shogun's site.

7) What else should you know? "pimpmobile" is a ridiculous name for what was designed to be (and usually is) a conservatively luxurious sports sedan. Think of a better name, perhaps?

Welcome!

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 07-26-2005 at 05:05 PM.

Damn, don't you guys ever sleep!
    Don't recall seeing any dials between the centre vents. There's a big vent on the top of the dash, below that there are the 2 vents for each side, but no middle red or blue dial.
    Looking at http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/pg30.jpg (goddess bless google!) it seems I have a fault with my electric heating system as it fails to all on! (not good now, but better during summer!)
    You guys jumped in so quick you may have missed my edit. What do I do with these inspection light thingies? Can I ignore them or will it bing me to distraction until I do something about them?
    The ticking of the valves wouldn't cause the noise to stop when I dip the clutch would it? Bugger, I guess I have 2 problems. Is it a cheap fix to adjust the valves? (money is an issue, it cost me GBP800 to buy the car and GBP500 to insure it!) Is it ok to ignore that for a while?
    B.

Reset the lights with a heavy gauge wire. I always get the pins confused between remote start and inspection reset (11 & 14? 11 & 7...whatever), but Bruno's site or Don Gale's page (http://www.nmia.org/~dgnrg/page_2.htm) have info.

You can ignore the lights, but if the previous owner did the same, and the maintenance that should be done in conjuction with them (which is plausible, because, for some reason, people give up on their cars after 100k or a few years...this seems to be an especially pertinent issue with 3.8 M5s and Europeans), get ready to buy a lot of parts or pay someone else to buy and install them for you .

best, whit

The inspection lights? Ignore them OR you can reset them manually with a few feet of wire and a little bit of instruction. I like to use and reset them so I don't have to keep track of when I change my oil, the car does it for me.

Search the forums for the correct procedure. You open the little round socket in the engine bay and touch a wire from pin 7 to the strut tower nut.. or another pin, 19 I think? the point is to ground it, either way. But don't take my word for it

Adjusting the valves is considered regular maintance, so I guess it wouldn't be expensive. Call the dealer and then start calling independents.

Lowell is probably right about the heat- there is a valve that controls when the climate system recieves hot coolant and when it fails it fails in the open position (by design), just incase you live in siberia and would die without the heat Here in the States it's a 100$ part, not a huge deal.

Lowell beat me to it, but at least he gave you a link

As for general words of advice -

1. Replace every single heating/coolant system hose now, before they rot apart. At the same time, replace the water pump and thermostat. It's fun and you'll have piece of mind for another 60-100kmiles.

2. Now that you've got the car, preform a nice big maintaince. Spark plugs, air filter, fuel fitler, cabin air filter, oil change/filter. About the only way you can ruin these cars is by not taking car of them, just as lowell mentioned.

Go to www.realoem.com and look up your car using the VIN#. It has every part possible, and nice pictures for showing you how it all goes together.

And he's right, pimpmobile is awful, i personally call my car sexybeast, its much more tasteful.

dont forget the belts and also look up "maintenance" as replacing every concievable fluid on a manual trans car is also concidered maintenance.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast