GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: and back to the e36...

Default and back to the e36...

So after I found out my intake valves were bent, I tore down the head and rebuilt it completely. Well its all back together, with timing double and triple checked by me and a bmw master tech. So its all back together and I goto fire it up and its a nogo. The car will turn over but not fire. I am at a loss because I may be mechanicly inclined but these electronics are beyond me. I am getting fuel, and when your getting fuel you should be getting spark, but no spark. At first I forgot to connect the ground for the plugs, but I spotted it and connected it and still no fire. The ground looks pretty messed up and some of the wires are starting to break, could this cause it to not get spark? Or is there something else I should look out for? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bjl4776
    So after I found out my intake valves were bent, I tore down the head and rebuilt it completely. Well its all back together, with timing double and triple checked by me and a bmw master tech. So its all back together and I goto fire it up and its a nogo. The car will turn over but not fire. I am at a loss because I may be mechanicly inclined but these electronics are beyond me. I am getting fuel, and when your getting fuel you should be getting spark, but no spark. At first I forgot to connect the ground for the plugs, but I spotted it and connected it and still no fire. The ground looks pretty messed up and some of the wires are starting to break, could this cause it to not get spark? Or is there something else I should look out for? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

You're direct fire, if the lead wires to the coils are split and looking weird, you could DEFINITELY have issues. I am not sure how motronic handles a coil refusing to check, but it may not allow spark at all.

Get it on a GT-1/Modic III/whatever they'll let you use and see if the DME's working correctly. Test all the stupid stuff that might've been overlooked when putting it all back together.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Get it on a GT-1/Modic III/whatever they'll let you use and see if the DME's working correctly. Test all the stupid stuff that might've been overlooked when putting it all back together.

best, whit
    Gonna be hard for him to get it on a Autologic or GT because its at his garage so i understand... if you were closer I could bring an autologic machine to you.

The DME is fine I had it checked out before I did the rebuild. The car is at the BMW dealership, getting it hooked up is easy, finding a tech that has time to help you is the hard part

Quote Originally Posted by bjl4776
    The DME is fine I had it checked out before I did the rebuild. The car is at the BMW dealership, getting it hooked up is easy, finding a tech that has time to help you is the hard part

The DME can be fine, but the question remains on whether or not the bus is up and running. That's why it might be a good idea to get it on diagnostics before feeling bad about it, mate

best, whit

Could be as simple as crank position sensor or cam position sensor if equipped.