GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Separator for control arms

Default Separator for control arms

Which of these tools is the one for separating the control arms from the steering plate? I had to get my tech to do this last time and he used one of these, but not sure which one. FYI, we tried the pickle fork, to no avail.

was it this one:

http://www.samstagsales.com/images/sw12623.jpg

or

http://www.samstagsales.com/images/baljoint.jpg

TIA
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi
    '94 Land Cruiser FZJ-80 202k mi.

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

bigger hammer, hit really hard, even bigger hammer, hit harder, over and over. I used a 10 lb sledge and had to hit 1 side about 5 times for it to break loose.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default I did that last time with the 10lb sledge to no avail, now we buy the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    bigger hammer, hit really hard, even bigger hammer, hit harder, over and over. I used a 10 lb sledge and had to hit 1 side about 5 times for it to break loose.
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

When I did my suspension R&R, I used the bottom link/pic of the two pullers to separate all the ball joints except the tie rods which I used the small Bav Auto puller on. One suggestion is if you don't do a lot of suspension work, Murrays in Michigan where I live has a loaner "kit" which includes a couple of pickle forks and a couple of different pullers for separating different size ball joints. Consider looking into this $80 lease/purchase/full refund offer if you rarely perform suspension work
    HTH,
    George

Default Robert both of those look real pretty but I bought one, first a cheap one and it

snapped almost immediately then i bought a better one and it broke after a couple of ball joints.. and then i bought the otc tool since some people had good results with it..I bent the anvil on it almost immediately so they warranteed it and now I stick to tierods and normal ball joints with it..
    I think to get the thrust arm without problems you're going to have to get the tool that bmw specifies which is this:

ZDmak is where i got this pic from and they are about the cheapest on it.. A number of other vendors have the correct tool too such as skyway
    Here's bmws description of it when they came out with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Super90
    Which of these tools is the one for separating the control arms from the steering plate? I had to get my tech to do this last time and he used one of these, but not sure which one. FYI, we tried the pickle fork, to no avail.

was it this one:

http://www.samstagsales.com/images/sw12623.jpg

or

http://www.samstagsales.com/images/baljoint.jpg

TIA

Default Yep, my indy bent that model up trying to get it apart...

.. and then put the Stahlwille tool on that one finally did the job.

The BMW tool that you show twisted like a pretzel! It was amazing.

So, your opinion was that the BMW tool is tougher than the Stahlwille tools? Wonder if we just got things pulled apart a bit with the bimmer tool and then all the way apart with the Stahlwille.

Now I am more confused than ever.
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi