GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: advice needed - got rear ended

Default advice needed - got rear ended

No one got hurt... SUV stopped short in front of me to make a quick left turn. I stopped in plenty of time, even left room to inch up a couple feet when I saw the guy behind me wasn't going to stop in time. Toyota behind me left skid marks, but still bumped me pretty good (we hit bumper to bumper). He was a good kid, and I don't want to give his insurance too big a hit.

No apparant damage to either car (like I care about his) except for some scuff marks on my rear bumper. First time my cars had any hits that I know of.

My question - I'm going to get it looked at, but if there's no visual damage, does that mean that it's okay? I thought there are some honeycombs in there that get smashed and have to be replaced or something.

Anyone have any experience with this? Any idea what it might cost?
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

same thing happened to me not so long ago except mine was much worse. there's a shock absorber on either side of the inside of the bumper and from what i know if they have been squashed in then you have to get new ones. i got quoted AU$250 each from BMW...obviously i didn't pay that! depends how hard you were hit though, they might still be ok.

*Bump* Anyone else have any experience with this?
    I checked the ETK and it looks like it is just a couple of shocks in there - that'd be great. Any other damage I should look for?
    Scott
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

this happened to my a while back. $3000.00au damage. thats what insurance is for. what u might see is nothing but get it looked at cause u dont know what ur looking for. rory is right about the inside of the bumper. other funny little thing that happened where the petrol cap cover swung open when i pullwed up at the repairers and fell off. its fragile and that bump finished it off. so what u might say. 100 bux so what. how r ur mud flaps, check the clips that holdem on,r they still there? on the bumper just near the exhaust there is a bracket on a very thin plate of what looks like heat shielding. check this as well. it rattles like a bitch if its loose.

Default OH NO!!! I'd check with Rigmaster...

He's been under a few E34's recently, and might have some insights. I'd be afraid the contact would harm some other things (fuel tank straps, fuel and evap lines, hatch wiring, muffler hangers, that sort of thing).

It wasn't me in the SUV...the wife and little tot took it to my aunt's yesterday morning at 8am so they could catch a ride to the beach. She left me with the E34!!!

I'll crawl under Ginger tonight and see if anything else comes to mind to think about looking for. Check with Bret for a bumper strip.

And best of all, glad you're all okay!
    Bill B.
    95 525i

I don't think I need the bumper cover or strip... looks like 99% of it will buff right out. We were lucky it was a direct square on bumper to bumper hit.

I looked under it, didn't see anything that concerned me, but I'm taking it to a couple body shops when I get the chance.

Bill - remember my neighbors E36 ('93 318is) with the bad sunroof? He didn't sell it, he had it at Sahde Tree getting it fixed. Think I might buy it from him for my daughter. Now with my experience with getting bumped in my car I feel better than ever that an old BMW (with driver's airbag, real steel, and good bumpers) is as safe as most newer used model domestics for the same $$.
    Scott
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Even if the bumper shocks have been compressed, they can be pulled back out instead of replacing them. They work the same, but if you go through insurance they won't go for it to save money just in case. My grandfather owns a bodyshop and they do it all the time if the people are paying out of pocket.

Default That's a good thing!!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyWM
    Bill - remember my neighbors E36 ('93 318is) with the bad sunroof? He didn't sell it, he had it at Sahde Tree getting it fixed. Think I might buy it from him for my daughter. Now with my experience with getting bumped in my car I feel better than ever that an old BMW (with driver's airbag, real steel, and good bumpers) is as safe as most newer used model domestics for the same $$.
    You'll...er, I mean...she'll love it! If you ever have any issues with it, lemme know. I've learned quite a bit about the M42/M44 family.

Hers during the week, yours on the weekends! That would make a nice driver's school car for the two of you!
    Bill B.
    95 525i

Scotty-

no honeycombs in the E34 bumper- just an aluminum bumper "bar" and the plastic bumper cover- and the shocks.

Lemme know if they find any "hidden damage" in there- I've got a couple of good rear bumpers......

Bret.

Happened to my 535 just about a year ago. Scuffed up bumper cover enough to require replacement, plus paint, etc. etc. Total estimate $1100 from BMW dealer shop. The guy's insurance company was VERY difficult to deal with, demanding that the shop use salvaged parts, even though the labor on those would have been higher than new parts. My dealer finally offered to do the job right for what the insurance co. offered.

My advice: do NOT be a nice guy about this. Assume that you WILL be screwed by the other insurance company. Make sure you have a police report on this. Don't agree to anything.

BTW, the Audi A4 that hit me had $4500+ damage. Hood, both fenders, grille, lights. Heh heh heh...