GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 530i

Default 530i

I am new the BMW world, and I am purchasing a 530i later in the week.
    I was hoping you guys could spit out some statistics about the car that you know off hand. I know basic things, but I was wondering about some things like LSD and things like that, that are harder to find online
    thanx
    Josh

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

Hey, Josh, what year is it? How many miles?
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

Default Try this . . .

Hi Josh,

We have to assume you are getting an E34 530, either 1994 or 1995, correct?

Check out this page and the rest of the related site.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/other/Models.htm

Bruno is a regular on this board; that link is his extensive E34 site with lots of procedures for maintenance, repair and modifications. Please check there for any information you might need before asking here - you will see that we are more than happy to help you out, though.

Unless it has been modified, this 530 probably has an open differential.

Does it have the original Nikasil block or has it been replaced with an Alusil block?

If you are more specific about what you want to know, we can much more easily help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by 530iguy
    I am new the BMW world, and I am purchasing a 530i later in the week.
    I was hoping you guys could spit out some statistics about the car that you know off hand. I know basic things, but I was wondering about some things like LSD and things like that, that are harder to find online
    thanx
    Josh

Hey
    thanx for the help. It has 110k miles on it, and is a 5 speed. I believe it has been untouched, but im not sure. I pick it up on monday or tuesday, so these will be the longest days of my life. Any info anyone can give me will be GREATLY appreciated. I currently have a Toyota MR-2 as well, and have been hanging out with all of my BMW friends and what can I say, I cant help myself. I drove by the 530i that was for sale, thought it was a 525, and once i saw it was a 530i, i was almost positive it would be automatic, so as soon as i saw it was a 5 speed, i knew i HAD to get the car . thanx
    JJ

by the way, its a 1995
    Last edited by 530iguy; 02-25-2004 at 09:46 PM.

Default Did you already buy it?

I have a '94 530im (original block), and personally, if I were to do it again, I would avoid the M60 motored cars. The newer M62 is much better, but the six cylinder cars are far more durable and trouble free.

FYI, My 530 has 110k on the clock and runs like a top and drives wonderfully, but that is not by accident. I have spent about $10k (and I do a lot of my own work) on it over the last six years keeping it in top shape and I still have nightmares that one day the engine will die. I have had leakdown test done at the dealership about every two years and the car passes everytime.

I personally have replaced the PCV plate twice and replaced all the intake seals, galley seal, O2 sensors, valve cover gaskets (three times) etc. etc. These are just engine issues. Power steering hoses are a PIA on M60 cars and they fail far more frequently.

Also, BMW had a problem with the 5-spd on the 530's in that the detent mechanism fails on the 3rd to 4th gear (there is a TSB on this). I had that replaced once before and just proactively replaced all the detent mechanisms on it when I had the clutch rebuilt here a couple of weeks ago.

If I were you, I would skip the 530. If you really want an M60 car, get a 540 and be sure it has the new block. More power and that one tranny issue is not a factor.

YMMV, but I speak from experience on this one.
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi
    '94 Land Cruiser FZJ-80 202k mi.

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

Default Do yourself a favor . . .

Not sure where you are and whether you've already committed to/paid for this car, but read this:

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/...shortblock.htm

If it's an original Nikasil block, you owe it to yourself to have it checked out thoroughly. As the link says, you should have a computer idle quality check done; if that is suspicious, a manual leak-down check is next.

You wouldn't think that such a fine-looking car might have "hell" lurking beneath the surface, but a new engine will run you what, $6000 or so? A bad Nikasil engine is probably the only thing the guys on this board can't help you with.

Hopefully all is in fine shape and it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by 530iguy
    Hey
    thanx for the help. It has 110k miles on it, and is a 5 speed. I believe it has been untouched, but im not sure. I pick it up on monday or tuesday, so these will be the longest days of my life. Any info anyone can give me will be GREATLY appreciated. I currently have a Toyota MR-2 as well, and have been hanging out with all of my BMW friends and what can I say, I cant help myself. I drove by the 530i that was for sale, thought it was a 525, and once i saw it was a 530i, i was almost positive it would be automatic, so as soon as i saw it was a 5 speed, i knew i HAD to get the car . thanx
    JJ

by the way, its a 1995

Hey Josh,

I have a 95 530i 5 speed with 130k on it, but it has had the engine replaced at 80k. I've been considering selling it for a while, so if you are interested and not committed to the other car, send me an e-mail. Welcome to the forum!

Ted