GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Air Conditioner Issue...advice is appreciated

Default Air Conditioner Issue...advice is appreciated

Ok, i have a 1993 525i Touring Wagon...and just today the air conditioner malfunctioned.

THE PROBLEM:
    While driving I had the air conditioner dial on setting 3 (3/4, 4 being the highest setting) and the AC was working very well. After about 15 minutes, however, I noticed an electrical smell eminating from the vents, like burnt plastic (or a burnt fuse). Nothing too offensive, but noticeable nonetheless. Shortly after this the AC died on me. I then turned the AC off and tried turning it back on. Settings 1,2 & 3 had no response - no air, no nothing. Here's the oddity - when I turned the fan/ac dial to setting 4 (highest setting) the AC worked beautifully - spewing frigid air at a marvelous force.

I am not sure where I should start to resolve this issue. I am not sure if it is a simple burnt fuse or something more serious like a blown AC compressor.

Any and all advice on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dead resistor pack.

see bmwe34.net for details.

best, whit

Thanks Whit.

I looked up the info on bmwe34.net and found some information regarding the ac fan.

Was hoping you might be able to clarify whether the resistor is different from the "sword" or if they are the same thing (just different terms used for different years/models).

Also, the page does not clarify what year/model the "sword" is found on. Could you confirm if the sword or transistor can be found on the 1993 525iT model?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc525iTe34
    Thanks Whit.

I looked up the info on bmwe34.net and found some information regarding the ac fan.

Was hoping you might be able to clarify whether the resistor is different from the "sword" or if they are the same thing (just different terms used for different years/models).

Also, the page does not clarify what year/model the "sword" is found on. Could you confirm if the sword or transistor can be found on the 1993 525iT model?

Thanks.
    Surely. My apologies for my earlier brevity.

Early cars use a "sword" to regulate blower speed. Somewhere around 91/92, Javier may know the specifics, a resistor pack (three resistors for each of the regulated speeds ) replaced the sword. But yes, they perform the same function, and your car should have a resistor pack. It's located in more or less the same location and Bentley should have the replacement info.

best, whit

Just wanted to let you guys know that the problem was indeed a failed resistor pack. I followed the directions in the Bentley manual and replacing the part was a success.

Again, you guys have proven that there are extremely knowledgeable people in this forum.

Thanks!
    Last edited by nyc525iTe34; 08-01-2005 at 09:04 PM.