GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: To seal, or not to seal...

Default To seal, or not to seal...

Since the outdoor temp. is going to warm up to 55 degrees Fahrenheit this Sunday, I am going to tackle my water pump replacement project. Before I get my hands dirty, I wanted to get your opinion on weather or not to use sealant on the water pump gasket. TIA. (94' 540IA)

paper gasket, a little would be ok. a modern composite gasket with the rubbery trace in it id leave dry. and none on a rubber o-ring like a m50, i get a few of those loaded down with gorilla snot that are leaking
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default I use a little hylomar, make sure that the dowels are fully seated also.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSpeedLimits
    Since the outdoor temp. is going to warm up to 55 degrees Fahrenheit this Sunday, I am going to tackle my water pump replacement project. Before I get my hands dirty, I wanted to get your opinion on weather or not to use sealant on the water pump gasket. TIA. (94' 540IA)

1st off, thanks for your O. But, what is Hylomar? Never heard of that, is it a brand of sealant?

In my early days of engine repair, I use to put a heavy bead of sealant on both sides of the gasket. These days, I usually put a thin film of sealant on the part to be installed (usually just enough sealant to hold the gasket in place). I typically use a razor blade to help create the thin film. Then, I'll let the sealant dry -- wait about 20 minutes. And, I do not put any sealant on the other side of the gasket. How does my procedure sound?

Also, when you refer to dowels, are there round pins that fit tightly into a corresponding hole to align the water pump on the block?
    Last edited by NoSpeedLimits; 02-25-2004 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Heres a link to permatex hylomar
    You can get hylomar at autozone,checker,pepboys etc.
    Here's the location of the alignment dowels

Quote Originally Posted by NoSpeedLimits
    1st off, thanks for your O. But, what is Hylomar? Never heard of that, is it a brand of sealant?

I my early days of engine repair, I use to put a heavy bead of sealant on both sides of the gasket. These days, I usually put a thin film of sealant on the part to be installed (usually just enough sealant to hold the gasket in place). I typically use a razor blade to help create the thin film. Then, I'll let the sealant dry -- wait about 20 minutes. And, I do not put any sealant on the other side of the gasket. How does my procedure sound?

Also, when you refer to dowels, are there round pins that fit tightly into a corresponding hole to align the water pump on the block?

Bill,
    what is the difference between using Hylonar and some Permatex gasket stuff - can't remember specific names, but I use P-tex high temp blue stuff and also some black stuff. is it the amount of silicones or the non-hardening aspect?

mike wong

Oh..it's a type of Permatex. Next to duct tape, it's the best all purpose repair tool in my garage. For as much as I have purchased over the years, they should be a sponsor of mine. LOL. As you can tell I am currently not familiar with Hylomar, but I will be soon. Thanks Bill.

Default Mike ,hylomar is not a silicone that hardens into a gasket.. its more like the

old nasty non hardening brown no1 and no2 permatex but this is blue and not as bad to work with. Its non hardening and will shift around to seal plus its easily removable in the future.. If you look through the factory service manual you'll find it mentioned .. Here's a link to hylomar
    Permatex i think is the US licensee for it..

Quote Originally Posted by mike wong
    Bill,
    what is the difference between using Hylonar and some Permatex gasket stuff - can't remember specific names, but I use P-tex high temp blue stuff and also some black stuff. is it the amount of silicones or the non-hardening aspect?

mike wong