GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil experiences, not opinions.....

Default Oil experiences, not opinions.....

Hi guys,

I´ve just beenh reading on all sort of old posts on our forum and couldn´t help notice that on the oil topic almost all of you run your car on Mobil 0W40 oil, mostly based on other people´s advice or opinion. I can undertsand this if your running a newer engine with hydraulics, but don´t see the point of using this oil with the ´older`type engine like the M30. I myself run these engine on Castrol 10W60 for years now, but would like to hear from you if you run/ran the same engine as mine on other oil than Mobil before changing to Mobil 1 0W40 and noticed changes, positive or negative. So just experiences, no opinions on being better or worse for the engine.
    Reason for asking is that we switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic at work last week, so I´m able to get this stuff for free.

Thanks.

hi Jose, I had castrol 10w-30 in the car before I changed to mobil 5w-50. I didn't notice any difference in the running of the engine. I hope this helps. I ran the engine for around 5,000 kms (engine rebuild) on dino oil then switched over to the synthetic.
    Last edited by BigKriss; 07-21-2005 at 03:56 AM.

if it makes any difference i changed immediately i bought the car to castrol 5W30full synthetic.The BMW dealer would put this stuff in anyway......I havent noticed any ill effecs at all.It doesnt seem to leak any and i run a full service interval without having to top up
    Gone but not forgotten

I don't know what the previous used prior to me buying my 535i (M30) but I'm using Mobil 1 5w-50 (fully synthetic). Mobil 1 0w-40 is about 40% more expensive and like rocking horse **** to find at the moment. Anyway I think 0w-40 is probably better suited to the later motors like the M50 & M60's with their hydraulic lifters, especially in cold northern hemisphere winters. M30's are a bit more agricultural so are better suited to a slight heavier weight oil, more so if they are in their 'twilight' years. I have run Penzoil synthetic (5w-50) in a previous car and it seemed okay. About $10.00 cheaper (AUD) than the Mobil 5w-50.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Default Mobil 1 0-40 may not be best oil for some BMWs

This is just my experience with my 95 525i m50.

I used 0-40 mobil 1 for several oil/filter changes at about 4-5,000 miles each . I have two oil analysis done by Blackstone Labs. Both indicated fairly high levels of lead and some fuel dilution. The reason I went to 0w40 was to reduce valve clatter on the first cold startup of the day. That worked. I have also been told the 0w40 shears down quickly to a 30 weight. Just not sure it is the best for an old engine with over 100,000 miles

I have since switched to Mobil I 5-w40 truck and suv. It has lots of cleaners, does not shear easily and handles high temperatures very well. Plan to have a UOA done soon on this oil.

Just one persons experience

Quote Originally Posted by Jose
    Hi guys,

I´ve just beenh reading on all sort of old posts on our forum and couldn´t help notice that on the oil topic almost all of you run your car on Mobil 0W40 oil, mostly based on other people´s advice or opinion. I can undertsand this if your running a newer engine with hydraulics, but don´t see the point of using this oil with the ´older`type engine like the M30. I myself run these engine on Castrol 10W60 for years now, but would like to hear from you if you run/ran the same engine as mine on other oil than Mobil before changing to Mobil 1 0W40 and noticed changes, positive or negative. So just experiences, no opinions on being better or worse for the engine.
    Reason for asking is that we switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic at work last week, so I´m able to get this stuff for free.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Russell; 07-21-2005 at 06:16 AM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Voll-Synthese 5W40 synthetic motor oil I'm using right now, engine feels tighter, am getting better mileage than when I use Mobil 1 synthetic. I switch between Mobil 1 and Voll-Synthese but I always noticed that there's an improved difference when I use Voll on my 95 525I auto, I've felt the difference too on my 97 Nissan Maxima. Just my honest experience

Mine is a M60 powered 530i (1994 with 135Kmi, Nikasil and all).

The PO must have used some Dino oil, becuase when I switched to 10W40 Mobil 1, my fuel economy went up by 1.2 mpg on average ( I keep a log, to satisfy my anal-ability). Had a few drips initially, but healed up with the high heat. I'll keep running it until it gets cold, then swich to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose
    Hi guys,

Thanks.
    '94 530i 5-speed. The work begins...

Default great response

this is good information, just remember to post the results when you get the next sample read.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    This is just my experience with my 95 525i m50.

I used 0-40 mobil 1 for several oil/filter changes at about 4-5,000 miles each . I have two oil analysis done by Blackstone Labs. Both indicated fairly high levels of lead and some fuel dilution. The reason I went to 0w40 was to reduce valve clatter on the first cold startup of the day. That worked. I have also been told the 0w40 shears down quickly to a 30 weight. Just not sure it is the best for an old engine with over 100,000 miles

I have since switched to Mobil I 5-w40 truck and suv. It has lots of cleaners, does not shear easily and handles high temperatures very well. Plan to have a UOA done soon on this oil.

Just one persons experience
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I used 10/40 semi synthetic for as long as I can remember, I have used it in lots of cars never had a problem.
    With the m60 and this oil I have noticed the very slightest and brief top end noise at start up when the temp drops below 0.
    This has been very rare and may have been due to the oil being lower than average at that time.
    I also generally use whatever "no brand" is availible, two 5l is usually enough to change the oil and leave some left over to top up until the next change 4/5000 miles later. My experience and as I said no problems here.

Ian

You'll have to post the results when you get them. I used the 5w40 M1 SUV oil this last time around too.

As to the original question... I think Bill R. said he liked it, and he has lots of hands on experience with these engines. That, and my father-in-law recommended it, and he's the type of guy who tends to know what the best-of-the-best is for lots of car things.

And, you can't escape the fact that it's more expensive, and we all know more expensive means better.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast