GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy here.

Default New guy here.

Got it in mid May. My first BMW. 1995 540i 6 speed. My mechanic said it has the sports suspension. 100,000 miles. Rims are different from others thought to be BBS cause the lip isnt prominent.

After I bought it, I replaced the clutch, engine mount, radiator hoses, the dreaded recline repair, Mobil 1, need to replace the drivers sides window regulator. Water pump was replaced in March 05 just before I bought it.

Weird thing happened. Parked the car facing downhill on my driveway Saturday and did not drive it at all. Everyday, I looked at the car as I drove in and didnt see any problems. I hadnt driven it cause of the seat recline issue.

Today, as I drove up, I noticed a puddle of coolant under the right front bumper. Car still hadnt been driven since Saturday. Temps here in So Cal have been in the high 90s and 100s. So I start it up and it indicated "Coolant Level Low." I drive around the block and then turn off car and restart. No more "Coolant Level Low" indicator. But I could smell coolant.

Later I took it for a longer drive - 30 minutes in traffic and in freeway. Got home and parked it upward in the driway. No drips, leaks but still slight coolant smell from likely the burn off from whatever was leaking.

Why would there be a leak when the car is facing down the hill in 100 degree weather and not be driven for 4 days?

I was about to buy that car...

Bring it to the norcal 5er meet!

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

That seat is pretty easy to repair. Do a search on Seat Twist.
    Last edited by uscharalph; 07-20-2005 at 12:11 AM. Reason: spelling

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Welcome to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by StorminNorm
    Got it in mid May. My first BMW. 1995 540i 6 speed. My mechanic said it has the sports suspension. 100,000 miles. Rims are different from others thought to be BBS cause the lip isnt prominent.

After I bought it, I replaced the clutch, engine mount, radiator hoses, the dreaded recline repair, Mobil 1, need to replace the drivers sides window regulator. Water pump was replaced in March 05 just before I bought it.

Weird thing happened. Parked the car facing downhill on my driveway Saturday and did not drive it at all. Everyday, I looked at the car as I drove in and didnt see any problems. I hadnt driven it cause of the seat recline issue.

Today, as I drove up, I noticed a puddle of coolant under the right front bumper. Car still hadnt been driven since Saturday. Temps here in So Cal have been in the high 90s and 100s. So I start it up and it indicated "Coolant Level Low." I drive around the block and then turn off car and restart. No more "Coolant Level Low" indicator. But I could smell coolant.

Later I took it for a longer drive - 30 minutes in traffic and in freeway. Got home and parked it upward in the driway. No drips, leaks but still slight coolant smell from likely the burn off from whatever was leaking.

Why would there be a leak when the car is facing down the hill in 100 degree weather and not be driven for 4 days?

First off; Welcome to bimmer.info and the 540i 6 speed club

Your wheels, from what I can see, look like BMW Style 5's.

The coolant leak: Check the plastic around the neck of the radiator where the hoses clamp down. The neck on my radiator was cracked, and reclamping a hose down finished it off (broke a large chunk of the neck off completely), and it leaked randomly after that.

Owner - Willamette Valley Motor Sports, LLC

sweeeett,cosmos black????
    Gone but not forgotten

Hi,

I had coolant leak coming from the front left of my my car this week. Just a few drops at first,then a few days later a small, 10" puddle of coolant.

I took it straight to my mechanic who told me I had got the car literally there in the nick of time!

Apparently, a large part of the construction of the radiator is plastic, which eventually goes brittle over time. Mine had cracked and so was leaking, but had I continued to drive it like that, there was a good chance that one hard bump on the road could have sheared that section off.

Changes in temperature can also cause the brittle plastic to flex and crack, which may explain why your car leaked all of a sudden without even being driven.

DON'T HANG AROUND WITH COOLANT LEAK!

Get your car checked ASAP! It's much, much cheaper and quicker to replace a radiator (mine cost AU$500 fitted!) than it is to get a recon engine (AU$15000 approx - what I paid for the car!).

Looks very nice. Almost makes me want to change my opinion of wide grilles.... well almost!

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Very nice car. That is exactly what I wanted to get, black on black 540i/6. Post up some more pics when you get them.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

hi ya.very nice wheels.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast