GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Alan S and my car this past weekend (large)

Default Alan S and my car this past weekend (large)

Taken w/ Canon G5 RAW @ ISO 50 w/ Wide angle lenses and fancy smancy flashes

and a pic from the car show we went to... our cars got so dirty I spent 8 hrs the sunday after on my paint.. clay bar... wax... the whole bit.

Best pic of any car I took, not necessarily the best car, but definitely a nice custom. Input please!
    Last edited by Jon K; 02-24-2004 at 09:01 PM.

Sweet pics!!!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

very nice pics, and we're all jealous of your camera =]

Default mercedes benz....

700 v14

/forgets bit about saying nothing if nothing productive to say
    /drank last beer

Default Very nice stuff Jon.....

You definately have a great eye for photography. Do you plan on making a career of this? Good equipment certainly helps, but composition and lighting are 80% of a photo. Your Holiday pics were great too. I've only recently started to experiment with digital photography. I bought a Nikon Coolpix 4300, and for a "cheap"($400!) starter camera, it does well for candid shots. I have a Nikon D100 at my office, but I haven't taken the time to play with it yet. I really need to take it and it's strobe home for the weekend and experiment. Keep the good ones coming!

Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C.
    You definately have a great eye for photography. Do you plan on making a career of this? Good equipment certainly helps, but composition and lighting are 80% of a photo. Your Holiday pics were great too. I've only recently started to experiment with digital photography. I bought a Nikon Coolpix 4300, and for a "cheap"($400!) starter camera, it does well for candid shots. I have a Nikon D100 at my office, but I haven't taken the time to play with it yet. I really need to take it and it's strobe home for the weekend and experiment. Keep the good ones coming!

Brian C.
    I would really enjoy a career in photography though I am not sure what I plan to do with it. Right now I am majoring in Computer Science @ Drexel University (very hard) and am about to switch to Information Science and Technology, while thinking a minor in Digital Media wouldn't be inappropriate, though I am not sure. I too have a D100 in the house and I've taken a good number of photos with it. I find it to be soft (image sharpness-wise) but colorfully vivid. There really is no alternative to a Digital SLR, though I think that the S50/G5 hold their own. The images have a different mood. Usually sharper more "technical" photos. A photo-technical picture is a good thing, but it can be very bad too. The "compact" cameras tend to take the photo more "literally" and sometimes lighting is not dramatic as though the eye may see it. I find that the G5, for the most part, does a great job of making good sense of lighting. The D100 has that ability to add suspense and emotion to almost any image. The D100 does a very good job @ capturing emotion and contrast in atmosphere. I've decked the G5 out in accessories putting it at the cost of the Digital Rebel. Alan has the Rebel, I am waiting to compare. I think I would enjoy the G5 better because of the fact that its no slump of a camera, and is "affordable" (if you can justify the $600 as affordable) enough that you can add on some nice accessories. I've got the Canon Lens Barrel adapter, Canon 420 EX flash, some filters, and my Canon 0.7x wide angle as seen from above pics. Alan S. liked the 420EX so much that he just this past weekend invested in one himself! There is no compromise, you need an external flash with digital cameras.

The key to photography is really lighting I think. The camera is important but here are too similar scenario pictures, both with amazing lighting

G5:

D100:
    Last edited by Jon K; 02-24-2004 at 10:07 PM.

G5 is an excellent camera. one of the best ones that we sell at bestbuy (im in that department)
    other than the SLR and the Sony's 818, this is pretyt much as close as you get to professional, i'd say. sure, there's a Fuji s7000, but c'mon. Fuji vs Canon? What a joke .

the G5 is a WONDERFUL camera. enjoy it

Acbimmer Guest

sweet pics dude

Default Yes, It seems that.....

....the rich tonal range on the chair legs and even in the shadow detail on the back of the cat's head are much better than the D100's shadows, which don't show much detail at all. Good examples.

I don't take many "pretty" pictures in my work. I'm a Certified Forensic Photographer and do mostly documentational stuff. It don't got to be pretty, it just has to be there. You're right about lighting. Today I spent four hours on one photo. For evidence I use a PhaseOne digital scanback on a 4x5 copy camera and work the image in PhotoShop. I had a black plastic top off of a spray paint can. Around maybe a quarter of the smooth perimeter were a few fingerprints. Some well-intentioned crime scene person had already dusted it with black powder. ARRGG!! So I get asked to photograph the prints, "Just in case they screw it up when they try to lift it." So imagine trying to turn a 60 degree arc, of a 2" radius, on a smooth reflective surface that has been dulled with black powder into a 2 dimentional photgraph of fingerprints! The copystand was full of fiber optics and paperclips and scotch tape. But it was kind of pretty after all. It was all in the lighting though.

Brian C.
    There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. -
    .............Ansel Adams