GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: control arm bushings...

Default control arm bushings...

M5 or 750 bushings???

opinions please, I searched the posts, but I want up to date feedback on new users of the M5 bushing...

Winfred loves them, and I am interested but want some more feedback!

Are the M5 bushings more harsh or how do they compare?!

price is not the issue, just want the best durability and feel without being rough.

all input is welcome!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

M5 durability improvement over the 750s is tantamount to the difference between the stock E34 ones and the 750 bushings.

Get the M5 ones.

best, whit

or try grunt bushings....look at jon k's thread.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Or get Delrin inserts for the 750i bushings from Bruno (although they may be on backorder...)

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DueyT
    Or get Delrin inserts for the 750i bushings from Bruno (although they may be on backorder...)
    I also wanted the delrin inserts, but I don't get replies when I contact Bruno.
    So I will go M5 if they are in stock - I have an appointment thursday and they will diagnose exactly what is faulty and let me know, pretty sure they told me upper was bad.
    Doing the brakes too, all 4 with zimmerman disks and Axxis or PBR "Ultimate" Ceramic pads.
    I should get an alignment after plaing with control arms right??
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

No kidding, I want those delrin inserts too!

reminds me, I still have to install his subframe bushings.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720

the subframe bushings are awesome!!! I just wish he would sell me some delrin inserts for the control arms!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman540i
    I also wanted the delrin inserts, but I don't get replies when I contact Bruno.
    So I will go M5 if they are in stock - I have an appointment thursday and they will diagnose exactly what is faulty and let me know, pretty sure they told me upper was bad.
    Doing the brakes too, all 4 with zimmerman disks and Axxis or PBR "Ultimate" Ceramic pads.
    I should get an alignment after plaing with control arms right??
    Chris, you might want to get an alignment after changing the control arms. I actually didn't do an alignment after changing my tie rods and centre link but I carefully measured the tie rods before installing the new ones...the car still drives showroom straight with the steeringwheel perfectly centered...I guess I just got lucky. I think I will confirm the alignment once I've replaces the CA bushings, though...don't want to push my luck.

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery

Default I have the derlin inserts

They stopped a mild shimmy. However, I think (not sure) they made my ride a lot harsher especially over hard edge bumps. I even replaced the struts as I thought they were the source of the harshness. Ride did not change much after the struts. Cornering was much better, My indy also says the upper control arms ball joints are bad. Rubber boots are shot and they clank over bumps. I plan to replace the arms with 750 inserts after I do my brakes etc.

Also, the rear subframe bushings really helped make the car more stable in cornering.

Anyway, one persons observation

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720

Last edited by Russell; 07-13-2005 at 08:06 AM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default I personally wouldn't get too excited over delrin or polyurethane bushings, the

bmw engineers went to a lot of trouble to design the stock bushings and a fine line was walked to give you the best tradeoff in ride comfort versus handling versus durability. Anytime you stiffen up an area on the stock suspension there's going to be a tradeoff in harshness and instead of wearing out the bushings it will instead transfer the load to other components and wear them out quicker. I see this a lot with people who think they need urethane bushings, but if your willing to put up with the tradeoffs then go for it. Last week i replaced the radius arm mounts on a bronco who had put extremely stiff urethane bushings on them 6 months ago and now he actually broke out the radius arm mounts where they are riveted to the frame.... I see this a lot on trucks here with the urethane suspension components kits for handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    They stopped a mild shimmy. However, I think (not sure) they made my ride a lot harsher especially over hard edge bumps. I even replaced the struts as I thought they were the source of the harshness. Ride did not change much after the struts. Cornering was much better, My indy also says the upper control arms ball joints are bad. Rubber boots are shot and they clank over bumps. I plan to replace the arms with 750 inserts after I do my brakes etc.

Also, the rear subframe bushings really helped make the car more stable in cornering.

Anyway, one persons observation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast