GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6x9 surgery

Default 6x9 surgery

I have a 94 540 and am undergoing a major audio upgrade, speakers, head unit, amp and sub.
    Has anyone put 6"x9" on the rear shelf, it looks like some major steel pannel beating and fabrication to put them in the 5.5" oem holes, it looks like it would be a lot easier just doing cutouts on the flat closer to the middle of the shelf.
    at the end of this i will have a factory original "premium" system complete with all plugs and wiring diags for sale if anyone is interested, comprising tape head unit, "10" way amplifier and 6 disk stacker. along with most of the speakers if u want them. I am in Melbourne Australia for freight.

Thanks, will keep photo journel if anyone else wants to try this when i am done
    1994 540i Auto

live fast; die sideways
    13.3 @ 104mph (not in the 540)
    15.4 @ 150 Kph in the 540 (24/9/07)

Quote Originally Posted by stx133
    I have a 94 540 and am undergoing a major audio upgrade, speakers, head unit, amp and sub.
    Has anyone put 6"x9" on the rear shelf, it looks like some major steel pannel beating and fabrication to put them in the 5.5" oem holes, it looks like it would be a lot easier just doing cutouts on the flat closer to the middle of the shelf.
    at the end of this i will have a factory original "premium" system complete with all plugs and wiring diags for sale if anyone is interested, comprising tape head unit, "10" way amplifier and 6 disk stacker. along with most of the speakers if u want them. I am in Melbourne Australia for freight.

Thanks, will keep photo journel if anyone else wants to try this when i am done
    I'm wondering why do you think you need to butcher the metal work in your Bimmer in order to upgrade the sound?
    If you are planning on fitting a sub then you don't need 6" x 9"s. The 5.5"s are fine (both in the front and back) if you use a sub and don't run them much below 100hz.

Is your E34 a genuine M540iLE?
    This makes cutting it up even worse! Cutting up the metal work will just devalue your M540i and M540i's are rare enough here in Oz.
    There's only about 75 in Australia. Think about it!

If I was in the market for an M540iLE I would totally avoid buying one with a cut up rear shelf.

BTW - Are you on David Bushby's M540iLE owners list?
    Last edited by pundit; 07-17-2005 at 06:39 AM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

why bother with 6x9's when you can get dual 15"s. Pundit's right. You want the sound stage coming from the front of the car. Let a subwoofer take car of the bass duties. This is scary. I'd image cutting the shelf to be a pain.

i agree, you can get perfect sound with just 5" 2-way speakers in the rear... make sure you get some really good 5" splits (or 6" if you wanna squeeze em in) at the front, a nice tight sub in the back and some good 5" in rear (i have clarion 2-ways which were cheap and give surprisingly good mid-range fill)

6x9s sound naff and look awful... i had some in my old car and i won't purchase them again!

good quality 6x9's that are amp'd can sound quite good.

I'm not a fan of cutting into the rear shelf.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    I'm not a fan of cutting into the rear shelf.

6x9's are not an ideal speaker size...

I'd say 5.5's or 6.5's would be fine if you're gonna run a sub. Replace all your speakers with upgraded ones of the factory size, put in a decent amp and sub and you should have PLENTY of sound!

6X9 are like an suv.. kind of good at everything.. but not exception at anything.. if you just want more sound in the back go for it.

doing it "right" will cost you a lot more since if you want to change anything with the stereo you pretty much have to change everything..

also the factory amp crosses over the signal at source so unless you are planning to get a different head (which essentially renders everything else in the stock system useless, i wouldn't even bother changing anything. maybe add a sub or something otherwise the stock system is adequate
    -inc

'91 e31 850
    '90 e34 535
    '02 CBR F4i stunt/track bike
    '07 gsxr 750 stunt bike

Default reasoning

The 6x9's are Blaupunkt comp series, my brother works for bosh and picked them up for me at a great rate, got some good 6" splits for the front too. the 6x9s have individual wiring for the main speaker and a seperate tweeter mounted seperately, they have a passive cpossover supplied to be wired in seperately.
    The sub is a leftover from a previous vehicle, may not use it on this install now i have the 6x9s

I may build a new shelf out of MDF and have angle mounted speaker boxes given the objection by the purists. I am a newcommer to the BMW sceene, my last 'performance' car was a mazda rotary.. i want to learn and appreciate, not vandalise and corrupt.
    1994 540i Auto

live fast; die sideways
    13.3 @ 104mph (not in the 540)
    15.4 @ 150 Kph in the 540 (24/9/07)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast