GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Valve Cover Gasket Change - Problem

Default Valve Cover Gasket Change - Problem

I was wrapping up installing the new valve cover gasket and it looks like I overtightened one of the cap nuts. I was using my torque wrench which is apparantly not calibrated correctly. I got 8 of them torqued down and was working on the 9th but screwed up. Now it just spins and spins. So, now it's time to show my ignorance. Did I strip the cap nut or the stud? Hopefully the nut so I can run up to the dealer tomorrow and get up and running again.

Thanks.

Hopefully you only stripped a nut or stud, a good excuse to hit the dealership. Should be able to tell by looking at both. Not to worry you, but....

I did a similar thing with a coil stud on the M50. The stud was loose fitting since I bought the car and I finally managed to strip the thread out of the head cover. Cured it by drilling a bit deeper into the head cover and tapped a new bit if thread.

IF (again, hopefully you're not in this boat) you have managed to strip the aluminum threads in the head, you may have luck with JB weld or similar (I didn't). I can't suggest tapping it out larger or deeper as I don't know the dimensions of the M60 heads. Someone else will have a tip if this is the case.

Anyhow, it'll all be OK, repeat, it will all be OK

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

OK, I finally got the kids to bed and went back out. Pulled the cap nut off and looking at the threads they appear screwed up. Don't know how to describe but I guess the nut threads are stripped. Hopefully I'm correct in my assumption and this is a simple $4 problem. I'll know tomorrow (assuming my wonderful dealer has this cap nut in stock).