GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OK to use Copper Tee to Bypass Heater?

Default OK to use Copper Tee to Bypass Heater?

Does anyone know if a copper tee would cause any problems with the cooling system. I bought a copper tee to use to bypass the Heater Core (Leak). If there's a problem with copper, I'll find a plastic one at an auto parts store. I was going to connect hoses 2 & 3 to the horizontal on the tee and hose 1 to the vertical on the tee.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by uscharalph; 07-15-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Copper and aluminum in an electrolyte, which the coolant is as it ages and becomes acidic, is not a good thing. e30 had bad result from copper or brass fitting in ac evaporator. Plastic should be easy to find.

as a temporary measure copper will be fine, dont leave it there forever though.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

i'm sorry to re-activate an old thread - i could not find info after much searching thru the archives.

what size (in mm diameter) of tee would be right to do this bypass and what material is best?

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    Does anyone know if a copper tee would cause any problems with the cooling system. I bought a copper tee to use to bypass the Heater Core (Leak). If there's a problem with copper, I'll find a plastic one at an auto parts store. I was going to connect hoses 2 & 3 to the horizontal on the tee and hose 1 to the vertical on the tee.

Quote Originally Posted by ktteoh
    i'm sorry to re-activate an old thread - i could not find info after much searching thru the archives.

what size (in mm diameter) of tee would be right to do this bypass and what material is best?
    It's funny, that same copper tee is still in my car over a year ago. I'll see if i can find the receipt.

speaking of coolant temp fixes.
    I used epoxy on my expansion tank for about a year and 2 months. I finally threw done 40 bills. This was when it was very hot in SD.

ralph, could you take a picture of the copper tee as installed - i want to know that i get the flow right - did you have to extend the hoses or is the existing ones have sufficient length?

It's funny, that same copper tee is still in my car over a year ago. I'll see if i can find the receipt.

I know you can use the existing hoses. I'm Ralph's brother and I did the install. I remember just having to loosen some of the clamps to adjust the hoses just right. Hopefully Ralph will post a pic.

Greg Mendoza

Quote Originally Posted by Mendozart
    I know you can use the existing hoses. I'm Ralph's brother and I did the install. I remember just having to loosen some of the clamps to adjust the hoses just right. Hopefully Ralph will post a pic.
    Here's the pics I finally took. I goofed up on the last one showing the rubber plugs keeping things from getting inside the heater core. Maybe tommorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

ralph, thanks for the pictures. can you tell me the diameter of the tee joint used - maybe put a small ruler against the one in your car?

sincerely appreciate your help & trouble you took to help me.

Here's the pics I finally took. I goofed up on the last one showing the rubber plugs keeping things from getting inside the heater core. Maybe tommorrow.