GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Value of 4-pot e31 brakes

Default Value of 4-pot e31 brakes

I found a set for 650 USD. Seller won't budge on the price. What is their market price?

If the calipers are in useable shape, he'll get $650. If he put them on the Turner classifieds he'd get them in 1 day. On ebay, the same calipers have gone for much more than $650. They are 4 piston Brembo calipers on 13" rotors. They bolt directly to the e34 strut assembly with no mounting brackets needed. Comparable aftermarket kits cost much more.
    erased due to slander

It's hard to assess market value when there's such a small market. Used E31 Brembos come up at best a couple of times a year. I picked up mine three years ago for $450 USD. I was very happy with that price. $650 isn't unreasonable. They perform great, and it's easy to find inexpensive replacement consumables (rotor, pads, etc.)

Drew Zacharda

6-speed Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    If the calipers are in useable shape, he'll get $650. If he put them on the Turner classifieds he'd get them in 1 day. On ebay, the same calipers have gone for much more than $650. They are 4 piston Brembo calipers on 13" rotors. They bolt directly to the e34 strut assembly with no mounting brackets needed. Comparable aftermarket kits cost much more.
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Drew, that's a good deal! I am just wonderign if anything better will come up.

Default What will you really gain???

I can't remember where I read it, but one premium car manufacturer was asked why they didn't use multiple pot brake calipers. They said their single pot brake calipers weren't the limiting factor...it was the tires. I suppose if you're going to race your car all the time, then bigger brakes are probably not a bad investment. And if you're truly running hard, you might want to look into brake ducting to dissipate the heat, which is the primary job of the braking system anyway. But, if you're just doing regular driving, I think the standard E34 brakes are more than up to the task. Think of it this way...if you can engage ABS in normal emergency stops or hard braking maneuvers, then you're brakes are actually stronger than you need. As mentioned above, the tires are the weak link, which is why the ABS is engaging. If you had stickier tires, THEN you might see the need for the increased brake components.

To me, the brakes on the E34 are one of its high points, and one of the reasons I own one. Not only do I look at my car as means of enjoyment, but I also look at it as something that may save my life. The E34 has an excellent crash structure, great handling, and great brakes. If the last two can't get you out of a jam, you may have to depend on the structure to protect you. But being able to stop quickly is one thing an E34 does well.

Just my $.02.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

this is true..I was rear ended recently,and at no time did i feel that i was in danger of hitting the car in front.I was able to modulate my braking to the point that at one stage i increased my braking so that i made room for the cars to the left to come over to my lane to avoid the car that was sliding onto their lane,and when she finally did stop i let my braking off a bit to come to a stop closer to her than i would have,,,,it was too much for the guy behind me tho...having said that i have 235 tyres and i think they are relatively sticky(,Bridgestone gIII,s) the surface was damp at no time did the abs kick in
    Gone but not forgotten

When the E34 came out, it was the best stopping sedan on the market.

What you will lose is unsprung weight. The aluminum E31 brembos with their 324x30 cast iron rotors actually weight less than the cast iron stock E34 single-piston calipers, carriers and 302x22 rotors. But the real reason why I got them is because they're dead sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert K
    I can't remember where I read it, but one premium car manufacturer was asked why they didn't use multiple pot brake calipers. They said their single pot brake calipers weren't the limiting factor...it was the tires. I suppose if you're going to race your car all the time, then bigger brakes are probably not a bad investment. And if you're truly running hard, you might want to look into brake ducting to dissipate the heat, which is the primary job of the braking system anyway. But, if you're just doing regular driving, I think the standard E34 brakes are more than up to the task. Think of it this way...if you can engage ABS in normal emergency stops or hard braking maneuvers, then you're brakes are actually stronger than you need. As mentioned above, the tires are the weak link, which is why the ABS is engaging. If you had stickier tires, THEN you might see the need for the increased brake components.

To me, the brakes on the E34 are one of its high points, and one of the reasons I own one. Not only do I look at my car as means of enjoyment, but I also look at it as something that may save my life. The E34 has an excellent crash structure, great handling, and great brakes. If the last two can't get you out of a jam, you may have to depend on the structure to protect you. But being able to stop quickly is one thing an E34 does well.

Just my $.02.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i
    Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Quote Originally Posted by DrewZ
    What you will lose is unsprung weight. The aluminum E31 brembos with their 324x30 cast iron rotors actually weight less than the cast iron stock E34 single-piston calipers, carriers and 302x22 rotors. But the real reason why I got them is because they're dead sexy.

Are these the single caliper OEM e31 front brakes DrewZ? or are they different as you use the term "aluminum E31 brembos". I'm confused. You have the ATE powerdisc on them. They look great.

I agree. The stock brakes are pretty dam good for street driving. It's amazing how well they work on a 3200lb car. But once you take it up to the mountains, they start to show their weaknesses. Plus the four pot calipers paired with the 540 rears will give more stopping power to the rear-thus making a bigger use for them. Giving the 65:35 ratio that the euro m5 has.

DrewZ: Is the black caliper paint visible? I am debating on painting my calipers and black seems to be the only color that does not look too agressive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast