GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any Getrag Gearbox Gurus on the board? [What goes with what?]

Default Are there any Getrag Gearbox Gurus on the board? [What goes with what?]

Heya peeples,

I am prepping for the horrible job of swapping from a ZF4HP22 to a 5 speed Getrag soon, so am seeking the necessary gear. I'm putting together a list of all the things needed for the swap- am going to go E28 flywheel & single plate clutch of course, and I'm prepared to get auto tailshaft modified if it ends up being necessary... but in terms of all this I was thinking (or hoping) that a getrag 5-speed 260 from another car be a possibility.

I know I still need a shifter etc, so I might get one from a BMW anyway, but such animals (BMW manuals) are very rare here, so the parts are hard to find.

Does anyone know;
    - Is a 265 really a 260/5 or are 260s and 265s different animals altogether?
    (I'm confused as I've seen many people refer to E34 M5 and Alpina gearboxes as 285s (and Getrag list the 285 as a FWD trans (for Mini)), so I guess they mean a 280 5 speed)

Does anyone know what a 290 is?

The Getrag site details only the 260/5 as is it is produced for the Australian-made GM Commodore 3.8l V6 (Buick motor). They have new models out too especially 6 speeders; incidentally called 220s for most Bimmers except M models that go for the 226 which takes double the power and is twice as heavy. Very nice...... very

I find myself wondering how different the BMW-supplied 260 5 speed is to the GM-supplied Commodore 5 speed. It may well be easier to source the conversion without a gearbox as none of the Aussie wreckers I've spoken to have manual gearboxes...

GP

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

i'd be interested to know about the commonwhore i mean commodore gearbox as well. like u said, manual bmw's are as rare as rocking horse poo here.

The 260/5 and the 265 are different, I can't remember the specifics.

European Auto Dismantlers in Brisbane had a e34 535im wrecked there a few months ago, they might still have the box etc..

Quote Originally Posted by myles
    European Auto Dismantlers in Brisbane had a e34 535im wrecked there a few months ago, they might still have the box etc..
    where in brissy are they myles?

They are at northgate, 241 toombul road.
    Last edited by myles; 07-14-2005 at 02:12 PM.

Nick -- although I know nothing about GM cars, in general, I'll bet that the bellhousing on these commoner (RWD assumed here) cars is completely different. Unfortunately, unlike the 4hp, the bellhousings can't just be swapped. Then there's the problem of the output shaft...

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Nick -- although I know nothing about GM cars, in general, I'll bet that the bellhousing on these commoner (RWD assumed here) cars is completely different. Unfortunately, unlike the 4hp, the bellhousings can't just be swapped. Then there's the problem of the output shaft... best, whit
    Thanks Whit, indeed- I should have mentioned that. A bellhousing is on my list with the other ancillaries.

Commodores are kommon as kangaroos down here, so it could make finding a box much easier. Which begs the question; can one use any m30-getrag bellhousing or are there differences in the casting for starter motor mounts, etc.

For that matter I can't see why a 3.0 cs/s/csl/csi bellhousing is pushing it too much. Any ideas there? GP

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Hunt down Don Gale (http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/) and see if he can help locate some parts. His email is probably on his web page somewhere.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

As long as the motronic holes are there, the bellhousing should work.

The point of contention (for me) is the output shaft. We've got a late E28 M30 5 speed sitting at the shop. Jeff, Martin, or somebody else in the Washington crowd says that output shaft issues render any E28 trans as incompatible with the E34 application (and in fact, so does ETK based on the part number, no surprise there, though). It makes sense to me that only the E34 M30 trannies will work in the E34; Winfred may know differently, as I think he's done a few swaps.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    As long as the motronic holes are there, the bellhousing should work.

The point of contention (for me) is the output shaft. We've got a late E28 M30 5 speed sitting at the shop. Jeff, Martin, or somebody else in the Washington crowd says that output shaft issues render any E28 trans as incompatible with the E34 application (and in fact, so does ETK based on the part number, no surprise there, though). It makes sense to me that only the E34 M30 trannies will work in the E34; Winfred may know differently, as I think he's done a few swaps.

best, whit
    Now that's fantastic info from a master, thanks Whit... kinda rains on my parade though... looks like Mattyb is trying to shark me on one of those rare junk-yard gotten e34 conversions though... I believe one type has a speed sensor on it too... perhaps that is the Motronic 1.3 version, though by rights that would be in the e28 535is too as they had the same ECU (different chip and cam though). GP

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast