GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body roll

Default Body roll

I seem to be getting a lot of body roll ,around town slow driving is fine, open open with twisty bits or if I throw it around corners it suck's.

Would I need new shocks and springs?? or can I get away with just new shocks are there any other part's that cause body roll?

I rang up a few places and it's going to cost big$$$ well for me anyway.
    Have you guys heard of Monroe shock's.

I don't want to spend(or can't) spend a lot but I would like better control.
    I'm in New Zealand so a lot of the spring/shock's you guy's talk about cost alot or you can't get them here.

Cheer's
    89 535 272,000km auto Euro

sway bars are the answer 2fast.Then you can have the best of both worlds....
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast
    I seem to be getting a lot of body roll ,around town slow driving is fine, open open with twisty bits or if I throw it around corners it suck's.

Would I need new shocks and springs?? or can I get away with just new shocks are there any other part's that cause body roll?

I'm in New Zealand so a lot of the spring/shock's you guy's talk about cost alot or you can't get them here.

Cheer's
    Did the body roll suddenly get worse? Or are you just pushing the car harder more recently?

First if your standard shocks aren't kaaput I would maybe consider some M-Tech stabiliser bars before I'd spend money on shocks or springs unless you are really keen to lower it as well. The shocker choice will invariably depend on how far you drop it. In some cases you can use the standard shocks, in others, you will have to change the shocks if you lower it.

I sympathize with you regarding the cost. Here in Oz we have to pay a lot more for our Bimmer bits than the guys in the U.S. and you Kiwis are even worse off than we are! As for putting Monroe shocks on a BMW?... well an E34 ain't a VC Commodore or an EA Falcon so I'd think twice about that. Even a set of original Boges, if your old shocks are worn, is a much nicer choice along with a set of uprated stabiliser bars. That will help reduce the body roll with out compromising the ride too much.

You may be able to direct import them from the U.S. much cheaper than buying them in N.Z. Just a thought.
    Last edited by pundit; 07-09-2005 at 11:51 PM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Have you changed your sway bar's Paul?
    Would that be my "quick fix"

My ride is good I don't get any Dives or sqat's, bump etc.. are fine It's just the body roll I think it was aways a bit rolly .I have been pushing it a bit as I am normaly a good driver If a turn into a street doing 35km I feel like the car is going to slide I feel out of control.
    I know the car is big and heavy but this is a BMW I need more control.
    My poor old baby

talk to BigKriss. He's in australia and he's just put a bigger Whiteline sway bar in the front.

So is body roll cause by a number of things...=$$$$

my car has the Mtech suspension setup whch has thicker sway bars than stock and a slightly lower ride height..Lowering the suspension and thicker sway bars will reduce body roll without losing to much in plushness....one reason you own a Bimmer.....
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by 2fast

Cheer's
    your car has 260,000 kms, have your shocks and springs been replaced before, and if so when?

if your shocks were dead you'd notice it every time you went over a bump, so i wouldn't bother replacing them.. get thicker sway bars, a friend of mine did that years ago on a corolla gti, it completely changed the way the car felt around a corner. cheap and easy, and if that isn't good enough then you can look at more expensive options

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast