GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint- e34 color w/o clear coat or best of the rest?

Default Paint- e34 color w/o clear coat or best of the rest?

Paint- e34 color w/o clear coat or best of the rest? Any OE paint color that doesn't have clear coat? If not, what is the best light color that is relatively cool but holds up well w/o clear coat problems. Location Raleigh, NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene in NC
    Paint- e34 color w/o clear coat or best of the rest? Any OE paint color that doesn't have clear coat? If not, what is the best light color that is relatively cool but holds up well w/o clear coat problems. Location Raleigh, NC.
    Generally speaking solid colors (non-metallics) don't have a clear coat.
    The clear coat is designed to seal and protect the metallic particles in the base coat from being exposed to the elements and oxidising. This causes the dull chalky patchy look over those areas that have lost that protecting barrier.

As for a cool low maintenance color without a clearcoat why it's Alpinweiss II of course!

At first I wanted either a red or silver E34. But the few reds I saw were showing signs of oxidisation (a common problem with red paint) the metallics have their own problems once the clear coat is damaged or worn through due to buffing/polishing. Summer temperatures are also an issue here in Australia so I went the safe route and found a nice Alpinweiss E34. With a good polish and wax and a set of nice wheels (T-Stars) it looks... well cool!
    Last edited by pundit; 07-09-2005 at 11:24 PM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

I wasn't sold on white before, but I am now. Another vote for Alpinweiss II.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by uscharalph
    I wasn't sold on white before, but I am now. Another vote for Alpinweiss II.
    My sentiments exactly. I kind of defaulted to white because I couldn't find a decent E34 in my preferred colors but over time it has really grown on me to the point where I like a white E34 more than any thing else!

Default I have an 80 528i and an 83 533i both Alpinweiss

and they both look great. No clear coat to worry about, I keep them waxed and if needed a little 3M Imperial Hand Glaze brings out the shine. Not bad for 22 and 25 year old paint.

My 89 535i is Dolfin or something like that metallic and it has clear coat failure on the hood. The price was right so I won't complain but normally I avoid metallics because clear coat failure will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    My sentiments exactly. I kind of defaulted to white because I couldn't find a decent E34 in my preferred colors but over time it has really grown on me to the point where I like a white E34 more than any thing else!
    Craig in Davis
    89 535i auto to manual conversion
    Delphin-Metallic/Black leather 296k
    83 533i 5 speed Alpinweiss/Cardinal Red leather 236k

Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    Generally speaking solid colors (non-metallics) don't have a clear coat.
    The clear coat is designed to seal and protect the metallic particles in the base coat from being exposed to the elements and oxidising. This causes the dull chalky patchy look over those areas that have lost that protecting barrier.

As for a cool low maintenance color without a clearcoat why it's Alpinweiss II of course!

At first I wanted either a red or silver E34. But the few reds I saw were showing signs of oxidisation (a common problem with red paint) the metallics have their own problems once the clear coat is damaged or worn through due to buffing/polishing. Summer temperatures are also an issue here in Australia so I went the safe route and found a nice Alpinweiss E34. With a good polish and wax and a set of nice wheels (T-Stars) it looks... well cool!

I would like to add as an EX-Auto Painter , Any professional paint solid or Metallics or what ever have some sort of clear coat in them , it's either mixed in with the color and sprayed in a 2 step process or in the 3 step process which the clear is laid over the color. Painting a car with out a clear at all will leave the surface very dull and chalky like.

the two step paint jobs are cheaper becasue less meterial and labor
    but somthing like that is something that shouldn't take the cheap route or you will be able to tell later on.

2 step paint jobStep #1 primer #2 Base Coat ( color & clear ) mixed together

3 step paint job Step #1 primer #2 Base Cost ( color ) #3 Clear coat

The CLEAR COAT is NOT just for metallics, it's for all paint period!
    The Clear coat protects the paint #1 and #2 makes it glossy and thats the bottom line.

Other wise just go buy some primer spay paint and go to town a whole lot cheaper.

Love that ALPINE WHITE!!!

RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

May the weiss be with you.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by jmr898
    I would like to add as an EX-Auto Painter , Any professional paint solid or Metallics or what ever have some sort of clear coat in them , it's either mixed in with the color and sprayed in a 2 step process or in the 3 step process which the clear is laid over the color. Painting a car with out a clear at all will leave the surface very dull and chalky like.

the two step paint jobs are cheaper becasue less meterial and labor
    but somthing like that is something that shouldn't take the cheap route or you will be able to tell later on.

2 step paint jobStep #1 primer #2 Base Coat ( color & clear ) mixed together

3 step paint job Step #1 primer #2 Base Cost ( color ) #3 Clear coat

The CLEAR COAT is NOT just for metallics, it's for all paint period!
    The Clear coat protects the paint #1 and #2 makes it glossy and thats the bottom line.

Other wise just go buy some primer spay paint and go to town a whole lot cheaper.
    I worked in a paint shop for three years in the early '90's and while all metallics were finished with clear coat over the top the same didn't apply to the solids. Though these days most cars are painted in metallic so clearcoating is the norm rather than the exception. Some colors (especially reds) definately benefit from clearcoating. My Alpineweiss E34 doesn't have a clearcoat.

Paint technology has progressed greatly over the past 10-15 years.
    Last edited by pundit; 07-10-2005 at 06:27 PM.

exactly how do you tell if the car has a clearcoat?

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast