GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Dragging rear end

Default Dragging rear end

A few days ago, I posted (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=12069) about the rear bumper dragging on the ground when going through a dip, especially with people in the rear seat.

I've attached pictures of my front and rear wheels. It looks like the rear wheels are running low, but when I measured the ride height, it was 52 centimeters... exactly what the Bentley manual specifies. Now, there was no weight in the back seat and very little in the trunk.

Does the rear wheel look to be running a little low to you? Is this usually a spring problem? Any ideas?

Thanks

Norman
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Uh...dead springs, perhaps? How many miles are on the car?

Also, you can't be chauffering around Oprah and her friends in such a finely tuned european machine...leave 'em for the lincoln.

best, whit

Does it drag on the first dip or the rebound after you hit the dip?

If it drags when you first hit the dip (down/hit), something is wrong with the springs. If it hits on the rebound (eg: down/up/hit) its likely the shocks.

Springs tend to control compression, shocks tend to control rebound.

Since your ride height is OK, it's likely shocks.

Also - here's an idea. Is your muffler nicely tucked up under the bumper in the pocket or do the tips hang low? You may also have an issue with tired rubber muffer hangers. That would cause the muffler to hang lower than normal and be more likely to drag.
    Last edited by Jeff N.; 07-09-2005 at 09:46 PM.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

rear subframe bushings shot ?
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Thanks for the various replies. I'll have to ask Oprah to find another ride. In the meantime, here's what I know...

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Uh...dead springs, perhaps? How many miles are on the car?
    Just hit 183,000 miles this past week. I don't know that the springs have been replaced, but I've got all the maintenance records and will poke through them this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Does it drag on the first dip or the rebound after you hit the dip? ... Is your muffler nicely tucked up under the bumper in the pocket or do the tips hang low?
    I believe it hits on the first dip, but I will pay more attention now. I see your point. I've confirmed that the rear bumper is scraping the ground, not just the muffler. I believe it is mounted okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek A.
    rear subframe bushings shot ?
    Haven't the foggiest idea, sorry...

In any case, this problem appears to be getting a bit more complicated. I was reading about spring replacements, and it was on the fringe of what I'd feel comfortable trying. If I knew that was the problem, I could try.

I've got a service inspection coming up soon, and can ask them to check it out.

Any other thoughts? Thanks for your help!

Norman

Norman -- Spring and shock replacements are easy...just use your Bentley manual, Bruno's site, and/or my writeup on the matter (http://www.bmw4life.com/suspensionLowellFA.htm). If you're just doing the rears, it's even easier.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Norman -- Spring and shock replacements are easy...just use your Bentley manual, Bruno's site, and/or my writeup on the matter. If you're just doing the rears, it's even easier.
    Whit,

Yep, I've already read and bookmarked your site. It's been very helpful. I suppose I could replace both springs and shocks at the same time, but would love to just do the springs if that's all it would take.

I'm going to look through the maintenance records to see if either have been changed in the last few years. If not, would you recommend going ahead and swapping out both, or try one first? If so, which one?

Thanks,

Norman

Thats lennarts site. lol. everybody is confusing them two.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip