GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: buyers poll...(long)

Default buyers poll...(long)

I need the input of some experienced BMW buyers like yourselves. I have always bought, and been extremely happy with, used BMW in the 100,000 mile range. I look for cars that have been well maintained, had the expected components replaced aleady, and fix the odds and ends myself. The system has worked very well so far and I have had no reason to change my ways.....until now.

I have come across an 1995 540/6 M-sport with 147,000 miles (one of 135 imported to the US). In many ways this car is a dream find for BMW hunters. The original & only owner took delivery of the car new in May 1996. This California car was garaged, babied and well maintained. Documented oil changes every 3000 mles, complete maintanence records, only BMW parts, etc. etc. Upon purchase, sheepskin covers were placed on the sport seats and they haven't had direct contact since. Looking under the seat covers the leather looks brand new. The entire interior is showroom condition, everything works 10/10. The exterior is almost showroom. Only a few tiny chips on the spoiler and a couple of tiny, tiny dings on the door (virtually undetectable) 9+/10. I have seen a lot of e34's and this car's visual condition is equal to the nicest I have seen, matching the nicest e34 M5's shown at Bimmerfest. The catch (and there always is one) is that none of the usual 540 stuff has needed to be replaced. Cat's, o2 sensors, Nikasil block, clutch, EDC III suspension, driveshaft is all original @ 147k. It all works now, but I anticipate having to replace some or all of these items during my ownership. For example, if the EDC dampers fail, I may have to replace them with regular struts. I drive about 5k miles per year, so in 5 years the car will have about 172k on the clock.

So here is my question - Assuming I can keep the car in immaculate condition and the Nikasil still passes leakdown, would you buy this rare, pampered, 2 owner M-Sport from me with 172K miles??

I know everything hinges on price, but that is really my question. I'm certain I could sell it for $5k, but what about $10 to $12K? (Which would be my target). I don't have experience selling the higher mileage special interest cars as mine have always sold at lower mileage. My thought is that collectors (the ones willing to pay a premiun) are generally looking for low mileage cars.

Anybody have their crystal balls turned on today?

Thanks to all!

Quote Originally Posted by motuman
    I know everything hinges on price, but that is really my question. I'm certain I could sell it for $5k, but what about $10 to $12K? (Which would be my target). I don't have experience selling the higher mileage special interest cars as mine have always sold at lower mileage. My thought is that collectors (the ones willing to pay a premiun) are generally looking for low mileage cars.
    It would depend on how many $K you spend replacing the "normal" things over the next 5 years. I bought my '90 in Sept, 2001 for $7K with 185K miles on the clock and the previous owner had recent receipts for approx $6K of "normal" things. I've been driving the car almost 4 years now and other than regular maintenance items the only thing I have spent is ~$200 on a DIY radiator replacement. I love the car and would buy another under those circumstances in a heartbeat.
    1990 535i 5-sp., except for 16" M-Contours, cd deck, and clear corners, completely stock. 226k and running strong

that car as is should bring in 12-14k, a standard 5 series of our vintage...rule of thumb is 10k after updates and maintenance nomatter if you pay 2k or 9k it usually adds up to 10k. That car you are buying or selling (not real clear) is worth 10k with all the maintenance items already done...which havent been so, to figure the value subtract what the cost of parts (and only minor service charges) to bring it to date and then add the extra value of the rarety of an ///M car. Follow that?

Say it is going to cost 3k to bring it up to par, the value is 7k, now add the ///M bonus and theres your number.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I dont think a car like this can really be justified in money terms.I would buy it in a heartbeat....When you come to sell it will all depend on the guys in the market then.If you have a guy looking for an msport you will do well,otherwise you wont.....It doesnt sound like you could find a better e34
    Gone but not forgotten