GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Slightly OT: 3-3-5

Default Slightly OT: 3-3-5

So, I read maybe a month ago that there would be "335" variants of the E90 (new 3 series).

"Great," I thought. A new generation of the big six! Life is very, very good."

Well, it is good all right. But instead of a new big six (this according to a remarkably tongue-in-cheek vignette from Bob Roemer's "Heard on the Strasse" column, page 30 of the July Roundel), BMW is about to introduce the third production turbo in its history (following the Europe-only 2002 turbo and E23 745).

They have to give us these cars in the U.S., right? They have to. I know a lot of us are bad people, but a lot of us aren't. Have mercy.

And I know the new M3 will have north of 400hp, but the odds my money will ever be that green are about the same as the odds of me ever becoming really handy with a bag of sticks (I need to finish this dreaming and go to the range, really).

So for a few of the rest of us, in maybe 3-5 years from now, used 335s may be coming on the market. There is a whisper of a chance I would be able to get my hands on a piece of that.

These cars (coupe, sedan, convertible and wagon, at least in Europe) will have the 267-pound (that being its weight), 255hp N52 found in the new 330, coupled with the same two-stage turbocharging system that gives the 330d better 30-50mph (something like that) passing times than the current M3. Which likely means it will have more torque than horsepower.

And then I thought, "Golly. 350hp is more than the current M3 (333, with only 262 ft-lbs. of torque), and they could potentially put this setup in just about any car they make except the Mini."

[pinches self]

Anyway, it would be nice to have something this real to work toward: A 3400-pound, 350hp BMW on a new chassis and suspension [fun fact insertion: the E90's wheelbase and most other dimensions are nearly identical to those of the E34] whose driving dynamics have been getting raves from pretty much every corner. This thing will be able to play with a base 911 and will cost quite a bit less.

[end dream]

i thought the new 335 was going to be a diesel?

Quote Originally Posted by G Feller
    So, I read maybe a month ago that there would be "335" variants of the E90 (new 3 series).

"Great," I thought. A new generation of the big six! Life is very, very good."

Well, it is good all right. But instead of a new big six (this according to a remarkably tongue-in-cheek vignette from Bob Roemer's "Heard on the Strasse" column, page 30 of the July Roundel), BMW is about to introduce the third production turbo in its history (following the Europe-only 2002 turbo and E23 745).

They have to give us these cars in the U.S., right? They have to. I know a lot of us are bad people, but a lot of us aren't. Have mercy.

And I know the new M3 will have north of 400hp, but the odds my money will ever be that green are about the same as the odds of me ever becoming really handy with a bag of sticks (I need to finish this dreaming and go to the range, really).

So for a few of the rest of us, in maybe 3-5 years from now, used 335s may be coming on the market. There is a whisper of a chance I would be able to get my hands on a piece of that.

These cars (coupe, sedan, convertible and wagon, at least in Europe) will have the 267-pound (that being its weight), 255hp N52 found in the new 330, coupled with the same two-stage turbocharging system that gives the 330d better 30-50mph (something like that) passing times than the current M3. Which likely means it will have more torque than horsepower.

And then I thought, "Golly. 350hp is more than the current M3 (333, with only 262 ft-lbs. of torque), and they could potentially put this setup in just about any car they make except the Mini."

[pinches self]

Anyway, it would be nice to have something this real to work toward: A 3400-pound, 350hp BMW on a new chassis and suspension [fun fact insertion: the E90's wheelbase and most other dimensions are nearly identical to those of the E34] whose driving dynamics have been getting raves from pretty much every corner. This thing will be able to play with a base 911 and will cost quite a bit less.

[end dream]
    Greg, I too am starting a dream like yours... I drool in my sleep it seems...
    Good write yup, and now the only question... when can we get our second hand wallets on one?!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Damn, that kind of dissapoints me, I always liked BMW for the fact that they could make more NA power than the competition could forced induction. I dont have a problem with turbos, I had one on my E34, just not a fan of BMW using turbos from the factory.

Damn, that kind of dissapoints me, I always liked BMW for the fact that they could make more NA power than the competition could forced induction. I dont have a problem with turbos, I had one on my E34, just not a fan of BMW using turbos from the factory.

i agree, im not a big fan of forced induction which is why i love the smooth, even powerband (and sound) of the M30. but i'm sure bmw will do it right and produce something that doesn't remind you of sitting in a sneezer skyline or rex, in which case i'll start saving now!

dont hate, FI, done right its awesome....and its more fun than NA
    at least imo when a turbo spools up u get a rush of adrenaline and
    you FEEL like u're going faster..of course the linearity of a NA motor
    is useful for precision, but FI done right is unbeatable...WRC anyone?

im not knocking F1, like I said I had a turbo on my e34, I just dont think that it is BMWs image to be putting turbos on their cars from the factory