GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Pro M maf conversion took a dump.

Default Pro M maf conversion took a dump.

Disclosure is provided here, for those interested in the maf conversion. Pro Flow is now out of business.
    Last weekend, after making a slight adjustment to the 2nd pot, for off throttle response, the motor developed a bad tip-in response. The adjustment was minute, with the pots in "fine setting" mode. Normally, pot adjustments can be fairly broad while maintaining good running characteristics. A few days ago, the dme decided that the signal afm signal was crap & lit the check engine light. It now ran poorly.
    I checked the maf wiring for continuity & shorts. I replaced the maf with a rebuilt maf for a 98 mustang cobra. It was better, but still not right. I swapped in a good, never-opened dme for no change. After Jeffro's track day, maybe we'll compare & isolate the exact problem. Oh yeah, the signal box still talks to the peecee & can accept new curve settings. Its output on the car is limited to about 0.2v, the problem.
    Borrowing Jeffro's afm was a revelation. The throttle lags a little against the maf setup, but otherwise, the stock afm can be good. Driving around town for a day now, with the Jim C chip, the 284 regrind cam, the headers, 15lb flywheel & some other questionable mods, left the impression of a very tractable, torquey motor. Even with the 21lb injectors, the mile-o-meter shows a little love.
    I may look at the latest split second maf signal conversion box. It allows secondary inputs for mapping purposes & looks to be well supported by the company. Daniel Ma had this on his '88 m5 & commented on its ease of tune. Walt's early pro m maf conversion died a couple months ago & he recently went with the latest split second maf setup. I may get another afm with wire connector. I gave my afm to a local e28 guy in need.
    Up to that time on a ferry back to hippieland, the maf ran great. I mean to say, it pulled hard & made a glorious cavitating sound past mid-throttle.

erased due to slander

Sorry to hear that. Power output bad - could be a transistor somewhere. Might be worth having a local electronics shop take a look... heck, ship it out to me and if I can fix it, I'll install it on my car and tell you it just couldn't be fixed

Or, it might be time to upgrade to an ///M5. Or maybe that Dinan E39 touring.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Confess sinner. Tell us about the wires you crossed up!

Robin: Holmes here shorted out his unit. Could that kill a transistor?
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Confess sinner. Tell us about the wires you crossed up!

Robin: Holmes here shorted out his unit. Could that kill a transistor?
    Oh, I see now. All bets are off if a powered wire hit a signal wire somewhere... that could have cooked the microprocessor depending on whether or not the i/o is isolated properly, which it may not be for a custom-built MAF.

I was thinking a power transistor somewhere or a capacitor got too hot from being inside that engine bay. Beyond my simple EE classes to fix it then

BTW - looks like I won't be able to make it out for the wedding / install (or should I say, install / wedding... got to get my priorities straight!) With the new business and all, $$ are in short supply for the next few months. Heck, I'm downloading the *trial* version of Intel Fortran instead of spending the $400 bux to buy it outright! (doing this now on the other PC).
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Bummer.

Fortran? huh...people still use that stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    Oh, I see now. All bets are off if a powered wire hit a signal wire somewhere... that could have cooked the microprocessor depending on whether or not the i/o is isolated properly, which it may not be for a custom-built MAF.

I was thinking a power transistor somewhere or a capacitor got too hot from being inside that engine bay. Beyond my simple EE classes to fix it then

BTW - looks like I won't be able to make it out for the wedding / install (or should I say, install / wedding... got to get my priorities straight!) With the new business and all, $$ are in short supply for the next few months. Heck, I'm downloading the *trial* version of Intel Fortran instead of spending the $400 bux to buy it outright! (doing this now on the other PC).
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy