GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrades: Fun with General Modules and windows! (and maybe LKMs, too!)

Default Upgrades: Fun with General Modules and windows! (and maybe LKMs, too!)

Hey guys...

A few weeks ago, I was doing a few things on Rob's euro M5T (build date sometime during MY 1994 -- I forget the exact month) and inadvertently discovered that the *passenger* side window had both auto down and UP. I thought, "SWEET! -- I wonder if it's a window switch or GM thing!"

Later, as in yesterday, I discovered that ALL e32 and e34 general modules are not only interchangeable, but also that the GM controls the behavior of most ZKE functions (central body electrics).....HHHmmmm!

I pulled the GM from a '94 740 parts car in the lot and installed it -- awesome...now all windows have one touch down! But, beyond the driver's, none have one touch up.

My thinking here is that the euro cars GOT that feature, but perhaps the US didn't for some silly reason, such as legislation. Can you late E34 euro car guys confirm that you've got one touch up on the pass front window (don't know about rears)? I've got one more thing to check on the 740: I didn't swap the relay module, and it might be necessary, I suppose, for one touch up to work on the other windows.

EDIT: after doing some more thinking and reading about the subject, I don't think any US E34 or E32 got passenger one touch up -- I've never seen it on a US E32 or E34...run into it all the time on US E36 and up, which also don't seem to have that silly "two at a time windows or sunroof only" constraint on opening or closing said items...

Finally: the euro LKM. I've heard, but never actually seen, that the fogs stay on with the brights. Perhaps this is a *specific* country thing (australia vs some countries in Europe)?

Happy weekend! (tee hee)

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 07-08-2005 at 06:56 PM.

hi,
    no, the E34 ECE models also had no one touch up (but on the front driver's side). for the simple reason that the E34 never had a crush protection at the power windows.
    Last edited by Kai@e34.de; 07-08-2005 at 06:31 PM.
    greets from Germany,
    Kai

A BMW is a black car with most rights in road traffic.

i can confirm that euro lkm allows fogs and brights.......see.
    I have one touch down(and up i think,driver only but i cant always get the touch just right......)
    Last edited by Paul in NZ; 07-08-2005 at 06:37 PM.
    Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Kai@e34.de
    hi,
    no, the E34 ECE models also had no one touch up (but on the front driver's side). for the simple reason that the E34 never had a crush protection at the power windows.
    Kai -- bro, that doesn't make any sense. This car, http://www.robertlevinson.com/M5_Touring/, has it and I'm relatively certain that part of the federalization process wasn't to go in and do some custom general module programming I'll have to check another M5T in right now to see if it does the same thing.

best, whit

Another thing to check out. Thanks!

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    Kai -- bro, that doesn't make any sense. This car, http://www.robertlevinson.com/M5_Touring/, has it and I'm relatively certain that part of the federalization process wasn't to go in and do some custom general module programming I'll have to check another M5T in right now to see if it does the same thing.

best, whit
    hi,
    i don't know why they have enabled the one touch up in some M5T, the power window mechanism is the same than in the "normal" E34. the one touch down depends on the MY - since ~1992, the front windows (or all windows, i'm not sure) go down with one touch. in my 1990 525i, only the front drivers side window has the one touch up & down.
    but you're right, it's possible to change it somehow. some guys in the german 7-series forum (www.7er.com) developed a hardware solution for all windows one touch up & down. but a software solution (in the GM) should be possible, too.

edit:
    here is the thread: http://www.7-forum.com/forum/showthread.html?t=11543
    Last edited by Kai@e34.de; 07-08-2005 at 07:18 PM.
    greets from Germany,
    Kai

A BMW is a black car with most rights in road traffic.

Hey guys...

A few weeks ago, I was doing a few things on Rob's euro M5T (build date sometime during MY 1994 -- I forget the exact month) and inadvertently discovered that the *passenger* side window had both auto down and UP. I thought, "SWEET! -- I wonder if it's a window switch or GM thing!"

Later, as in yesterday, I discovered that ALL e32 and e34 general modules are not only interchangeable, but also that the GM controls the behavior of most ZKE functions (central body electrics).....HHHmmmm!

I pulled the GM from a '94 740 parts car in the lot and installed it -- awesome...now all windows have one touch down! But, beyond the driver's, none have one touch up.

My thinking here is that the euro cars GOT that feature, but perhaps the US didn't for some silly reason, such as legislation. Can you late E34 euro car guys confirm that you've got one touch up on the pass front window (don't know about rears)? I've got one more thing to check on the 740: I didn't swap the relay module, and it might be necessary, I suppose, for one touch up to work on the other windows.

EDIT: after doing some more thinking and reading about the subject, I don't think any US E34 or E32 got passenger one touch up -- I've never seen it on a US E32 or E34...run into it all the time on US E36 and up, which also don't seem to have that silly "two at a time windows or sunroof only" constraint on opening or closing said items...

Finally: the euro LKM. I've heard, but never actually seen, that the fogs stay on with the brights. Perhaps this is a *specific* country thing (australia vs some countries in Europe)?

Happy weekend! (tee hee)

best, whit

My 1995 540i/6 has one touch down on all 4 windows, at one-touch up on at least both front windows and the sunroof. I've never checked the rears for the up part. I shall do so later.

Owner - Willamette Valley Motor Sports, LLC

Kai -- Thanks for the info! I never knew Erich spoke/wrote german. That guy's incredible and knows his stuff to boot.

best, whit

Wow -- your US/US GM spec car front pass has one touch up? Hmmm...

Default Fwiw

I just went out to the garage to see about my 540/6 - all that Shaun says is true except no one-touch up on front passenger window. I suspect he may have been mistaken about the passenger up.

Shaun, double check and let us know?

Wow -- your US/US GM spec car front pass has one touch up? Hmmm...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast