GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED Light Bulbs - Exterior

Default LED Light Bulbs - Exterior

Has anyone managed to find LED replacement bulbs (eg signal, brake...) that will actually fit AND work well in our funky bulb sockets?

Most standard ones are too short and won't fit.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

forget about it. these LED bulbs are either too dark or illuminate insufficient.
    greets from Germany,
    Kai

A BMW is a black car with most rights in road traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai@e34.de
    forget about it. these LED bulbs are either too dark or illuminate insufficient.
    Not true. Good LED bulbs are quite bright - I wouldn't use them to replace the brake light, but they're more than bright enough for parking and turn.

Unfortunately, the issue is (as I've recently discovered) the sockets on the rear light clusters (with the exception of the brake light) are wired with the incorrect polarity. That is, the body of the bulb base is wired (+) and the contact at the bottom of the bulb is wired (-). LED bulbs require correct polarity as LEDs are, after all, diodes.

You'll have to do some hacking of the wiring on the taillights to fix this. Really odd move on BMW's (Hella's, I suppose) part.

www.superbrightleds.com has everything you need.

Default Indeed Kai... but no-doubt they are coming

whether anyone will bother with the e34 though... who knows... I'm waiting for a set at the back- I have clears and I don't like the indicator light much when it flashes, plus they are made like crap- one of the studs broke on mine (with literally no pressure on it) and the seals are crap. Sure am glad I kept the originals! GP

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
    Not true. www.superbrightleds.com has everything you need.
    Nice one Mobius, I bet a lot of people will be into these... do I hear a group buy coming.... ? Perhaps we could get 100+ qty pricing!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Not true. Good LED bulbs are quite bright - I wouldn't use them to replace the brake light, but they're more than bright enough for parking and turn.

Unfortunately, the issue is (as I've recently discovered) the sockets on the rear light clusters (with the exception of the brake light) are wired with the incorrect polarity. That is, the body of the bulb base is wired (+) and the contact at the bottom of the bulb is wired (-). LED bulbs require correct polarity as LEDs are, after all, diodes.

You'll have to do some hacking of the wiring on the taillights to fix this. Really odd move on BMW's (Hella's, I suppose) part.

www.superbrightleds.com has everything you need.
    REVERSE POLARITY! That's why. I didn't bother checking the polarity

see the problem? they illuminate straight forward, not back and not sideways to the reflector. all you will see from outside is a small bright spot in the middle of the lamp. but try it out, u'll see.
    greets from Germany,
    Kai

A BMW is a black car with most rights in road traffic.

not to mention all the warning you wiill get on the dash. Check control will think all the lights are out.

Actually, there is no worry about the hotspot. See? Not your standard LED lamp. Stry enough, I have pulled brake and signal lamps out and the CCM is none the wiser. Of course if you burn out your license plate light, it yells :|

"The unique design of our 24 LED bulbs feature 18 LEDs aiming out the end plus 6 radially mounted LEDs aiming out the sides. This produces a more complete and even lens fill than conventional LED bulbs"

Last edited by Qube; 07-08-2005 at 12:06 PM.

That's weird, I have tried those LED lights and the CCM shows lights out, maybe just my car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast