GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the first?

Default Is this the first?

Two weeks ago I fitted a digital dash from a 535 into my 1990 520, replacing the basic analogue cluster. Am I the first to do this? All the instruments work, except for the econometer, due to having the wrong coding plug, and I have chosen not to fit the CCM unit. This way I get basic messages only, LOW BRAKE FLUID, BRAKE LININGS, HANDBRAKE ON, etc. There are other basic warnings but I have never seen them yet, as I never run low on fuel, overheat etc. If anyone's thinking of doing this I would say DON'T DO IT! There are approx 30 wires to cut, splice solder and heatshrink.

Cheers,

Shaun

sounds like a great mod, did you take pictures and stuff?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

there are alot of people in the german e34 forum (forum.e34.de) who have done this yet. someone there sells an adaptor from the 2 connectors to 4 connectors for the check control instrument cluster.

Is there anyone in the german e34 forum who knows how to fit an E34 M5 cluster into a 540i and who can describe how to re-calibrate the speed and rev counters and who has solved the problem of hooking up the oil temperature guage?

Or am I just dreaming?

Thanks
    David
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai@e34.de
    there are alot of people in the german e34 forum (forum.e34.de) who have done this yet. someone there sells an adaptor from the 2 connectors to 4 connectors for the check control instrument cluster.

Quote Originally Posted by 95-540iLE
    Is there anyone in the german e34 forum who knows how to fit an E34 M5 cluster into a 540i and who can describe how to re-calibrate the speed and rev counters and who has solved the problem of hooking up the oil temperature guage?

Or am I just dreaming?

Thanks
    David
    sure, i've done it a few times for other ones. the only thing you need is

1. an eeprom writer for the 93C56-eeprom in the code plug. if you don't have one, see here: http://www.dl7awl.de/ee93.htm (i hope you understand some german)
    2. an oil temperature sensor für the oil temperature gauge

that's all.

is your 540i an original US-540i and shows the "fasten belts"-message?
    Last edited by Kai@e34.de; 07-08-2005 at 05:07 AM.
    greets from Germany,
    Kai

A BMW is a black car with most rights in road traffic.

ece type 540 ..special model for Australia similar tot he canadian and US //M sport cars
    540iLE
    Gone but not forgotten

Oh poo! An adaptor? I wish I knew that before I started cutting the old plugs off- I still have unconnected wires and I have idea what they do!

Cheers,

Shaun

An eeprom writer for the 93C56-eeprom in the code plug. if you don't have one, see here: http://www.dl7awl.de/ee93.htm (i hope you understand some german)

That sounds really interesting - tell me more! Do you know anyone who has made the eeprom programmer unit, or would build me one? If I did a hex dump of my coding plug, the data would not make any sense to me, as I wouldn't know what each byte stores. Is there a "map" showing the variables of each BMW model?

Cheers,

Shaun

Shaun, if you haven't got a Bentley manual to refer to, I have one in Cambs you can borrow if you're close by. It may (but I woulnd't swear it) help with your remaining wires.

Hey Marshy, I have the Bentley diagram, that side of the conversion was not a problem. My problem was (is) identifying all the wires in the loom of my 520. Most are identical, so were connected like for like, some are unique to the 520. The Bentley manual only covers the 525 upwards. You see my problem-my undocumented loom!

Cheers,

Shaun Marsh

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast