GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was fanging it sideways just now...

Default Was fanging it sideways just now...

You know how it is... you just initiated a nice upgrade, have run it in, recently changed the oil and along comes the opportunity to safely see what she can do... so you take it...

Well this happened last night when I was just cruising out of a driveway. Saw some traffic coming up behind me and nothing but 4 lanes of freedom in front. Foot to the floor with the tranny changer to Sports mode after a last check for pedestrians; out I went... the old M30 growling down low in the revs as I turned the wheel. Revs then hit 4000 in first and then the inevitable as I straightened the wheel; a big inside wheel spin followed by a smooth powerslide sideways across a little over my chosen lane's width. 'Awww heck' I really didn't mean to do it- but hell now she's broken traction I figure hell keep going so I lock it into 1st gear and straighten the car with the wheel letting her grip after a the few remaining (but only slight) side to side oversteers iron themselves out before heading to 2nd at around 5500. In she goes beautfully and I settled back to watch 80km/h come up on the speedo in what seemed like 2 seconds.

Anyway, with what I feel was all my boy racer excitement now satisfied I doodle back the rest of the way but somehow can't resist a final blast up my girlfreind's street to be sure her neighbours knew they really were in bed too early.

Jumped back into the car an hour later to head out partying and as I squeeze the throttle down in 1st to head up her hill I hear some kinda thwuppleggugglethwupple from what seems like about where the centre bearing is located. Its definately drive shaft related, and the flexible joint (if I have one) and centre bearing are on my list for changing the car is (now 17 and 150,000 miles old)...

Am I on the right track? I know I have to drop the exhaust to do a visual inspection... but given the activity I had been doing I think the jury would be pretty sure on the verdict... Don't have a hoist either... so this isn't going to be the easiest thing to do. Is there anything else I should check? I'm not keen to drive the car very far with this noise happening under acceleration, perhaps its dangerous... a driveshaft or even a stray bolt through the floorpan isn't exactly my idea of fun!

Assuming it is I checked out the online ETK I can see there are
    Several types of drive shaft. Damn... I guess I can't just go buy the bits and then jack her up and rip into it! Anyway it seems that early E34 535i autos like mine came with a flexible joint in the drive shaft and in early 1990 they went to a solid CV joint (in addition to the central CV joint near the centre bearing).

Here is a pic showing both kinds- and (without ripping the exhaust off) I am guessing mine will have the flexible joint- however interestingly the ETK doesn't list it for my car (which is an 09/88 build euro car). Furthermore the ETK lists it as being 'ended' so it seems that BMW may reccommend replacing it with the fixed joint anyway... this means replacing the front shaft entirely back to the centre CV joint- although I believe the stealer would replace the whole shaft if they did it.

Many have done this sort of work and written this up already however they always talk about the flexible joint... so I guess the fixed joint stops the failiures and just never gets discussed. I know the flexible joints are still sold aftermarket, but might try to find a newer version driveshaft to see if I can retrofit it.

Does anyone know if 535 and 525 auto e34s have common drive-shafts?

Damn boy racers... now I really stupid for getting so pedal happy after doing some minor 'repairs and upgrades' (cries) GP
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by genphreak; 07-06-2005 at 08:05 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Does anyone know if 535 and 525 auto e34s have common drive-shafts?
    On 7/2/05 (last Saturday) I replied to your post about the fuel pump...and showed how to use the online parts database to cross reference part numbers...this way you can find out what other BMW models a part will work with. Just find the part number for your car...copy then paste it into the dialog box after clicking the link for searching by part number.

Here's a link to my reply that shows how to do it: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showpos...95&postcount=1

Good luck
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

drifting in an auto? thats trouble! (speaks from past experience)

Quote Originally Posted by bahnstormer
    drifting in an auto? thats trouble! (speaks from past experience)
    ohhh yeah... been there... autos are for good in traffic, which is why i bought one... they are no good for anything else

do autos have a clutch release bearing? dunno if it's related... but one of the guys in the club with an E30 M3 M/T had the same sound after blowing the release bearing during track day.

Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7
    On 7/2/05 (last Saturday) Here's a link to my reply that shows how to do it..
    Hey thanks Qs7, yes i did see that... a great tip I might add!

I was really unsure when it comes to the drive shaft components as the ETK notes minor differences between euros and non-euros, LH and RH drives, especially between build dates. As I said in my post all the parts relating to the flexible joint are discontinued and not replaced as far as the online ETK is concerned.

To be honest I'm a bit worried about the online ETK's accuracy on these particular parts- most else its awesome. However checking the types of drive shaft the ETK confirms the same part numbers apply to 530i and late 535 drive shaft assemblies... early 535i and 525i must be well different.... thanks to you I have that worked out now... Thanks again, I love that feature and should use it more.

Problem is I gotta get under there to work out what is needed... and its been raining like hell here so I'm not keen to pull the exhaust quite yet!

GP
    Last edited by genphreak; 07-06-2005 at 08:40 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Never Knew Of That Site. Awesome. Learn Something Everyday Here!

Pity, I have an E34 M5 Driveshaft available lol. Looks like it only fits another M5 though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeak
    Pity, I have an E34 M5 Driveshaft available lol. Looks like it only fits another M5 though.
    Heh, I'd kill for a tranny and clutch to go with it.... was hoping my auto driveline would last till I could get a manual conversion together, ! No more fangin' it for me!! GP
    Last edited by genphreak; 07-06-2005 at 08:06 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Update... Just got onto an Australian stealer... checked against my car's VIN and they reckon it does NOT have a 'flexible joint' in the drive shaft, just the normal Universal one beside the centre driveshaft bearing. So it looks like I only have to worry about changing the centre bearing unlike the American variants... the euro RHD (and therefore Aussie ones) must never have had it. I wonder why... its a weird difference...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast