GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Slightly overfilled my oil.

Default Slightly overfilled my oil.

I did my 1st oil change on this car and it was a breeze. Except that my oil is just slightly above the top line. I had it perfect right in the middle and then I tried to top it off. Anyways, can I pop the oil filter housing and suck some out using a syringe, or do I have to drain all of it from below and start over? Or will I be okay because it is barely over the top line. Probably less than 1/4 of a quart too much.

Quote Originally Posted by mbogosia
    I did my 1st oil change on this car and it was a breeze. Except that my oil is just slightly above the top line. I had it perfect right in the middle and then I tried to top it off. Anyways, can I pop the oil filter housing and suck some out using a syringe, or do I have to drain all of it from below and start over? Or will I be okay because it is barely over the top line. Probably less than 1/4 of a quart too much.
    if your worried theres too much oil, just drain a bit from the bottom (drain plug). it will be messy, but aren't all cars.

I think I am going to just leave it how it is. I just checked it again and it is barely above the line. I don't think it is enough to cause any damage.

I think I've read about some things happenning when people have overshot the mark, but I'm pretty sure it was like a whole quart over.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

You can do it clean by using a self bleeding pump for brakes ... it's a vacuum pump, I've seen them called mighty vac ... http://www.tooldesk.com/shop/mityvac.wml (this site is just for example ... I have not purchased from them)
    Place the tube down through the dipstick tube and remove the amount you need ... did this with a friends auto tran that a jiffy lube over filled by quarts!

Ken

Less than a 1/4 qt won't hurt anything.

The dipstick isnt accurate enough to tell much difference +/- 1/4 qt. It depends on the oil temp, how long the car has been sitting, etc.
    DanH
    1989 535iA 254k Miles
    1992 535iM 330k Miles

True. Mityvacs are handy but - at least the one I use - requires shop air, and few people have that at home/at their disposal.

Count it off by how many marks above filled it is: one or two marks above are fine. More and there's a risk of damage.

best, whit

Huh ... the one I have is a hand pump which can be brutal ... but since I don't have air that's the way it has to be.

Ken

I wouldn't fool with it. I can't imagine that an extra 1/4 of a quart of oil is going to do any harm...and it doesn't sound, to me, like you have even that much extra in the crank case.

Just leave it. It takes quite a bit of extra oil to harm anything...
    1991 535i 176k (under serious surgery: repaint, interior swap, manual conversion, etc.)
    1993 750iL 132k