GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: AUTOTRANS Question 95 525i

Default AUTOTRANS Question 95 525i

I was wondering if anyone could help answer this question. I bought a 1995 525i auto a few weeks back and I love the car but I am so used to Manual trans cars and don't have alot of knowledge on Autos
    When I start to move from a dead stop and push the gas Pedal the normal amount for normal driving it seems to me that the engine is spinning too much faster then the motion of the car. (Example Like on a manual and the clutch is slipping. ) but if i give it alot more gas it the motion seems to catch up to the engine speed real quick. I just got me wondering becasue the Trans was replaced not too long ago from the previous owner. and then the other day when on the Highway I had to punch it and to pass a car and then when I to an exit off the hwy and came to a stop light, when it turned green I tried to go and it seemed to be worse Like almost 3-3300 rpm and the car is crawling like if I had a burnted clutch on a manual but I have an Auto. Also No smell from the car, and the problem mostly went away a few minutes later.

Does anyone know what I should check out or what I need to do,Does the Torque Converter slip ,like a clutch?
    Also the trans problem might seem to be tied in with the second problem
    #2 would be when I give the car gas from a stop it seems that the car doesn't have the punch it should. or Torque it should. the car idles great and runs fine excpet one time when it sat for two days and when started it stumbled and quickly smoothed out.
    Anyone have any ideas Thanks for the Time

Sounds to me like the transmission is slipping. It could just be low on fluid, filling these things is a bit of a trick and people who don't know the procedure can underfill. No dipstick of course, and the engine has to be running to check, so personally I'd take it to a decent trans shop or BMW shop and have it checked on a lift. If fluid is good, there are probably other checks that can/should be made.

Is the car in "sport shift (M)" or Automatic Mode.

The car should say ED on the display if you are in Automatic Drive.

That would be my first master of the obvious question.

Charles

i have tried both m and a mode and i made sure that i drive in the mode that has a lower rpm
    but i have noticed that the ED light never lights up, i was actually wondering what that
    ED ment. i did make a mistake though, the rpm range is about 2200 not 3200 i said in the post.
    i feel like its slipping but iam not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoyote
    Is the car in "sport shift (M)" or Automatic Mode.

The car should say ED on the display if you are in Automatic Drive.

That would be my first master of the obvious question.

Charles

Ok, what does it say in the display when the car is in "A" mode and the gear shift is in the drive postion?

What about when the car is in "M" mode..

Have you tried sticking the car in "M" mode and using the sports shift starting from 1st gear?

edit: is there anything on the display like "Trans Program"... you could be stuck in limp mode. Also, have you tried the shogun reset?

-Charles
    Last edited by dacoyote; 07-05-2005 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Limp Mode

it doesn't say trans program , but my brake linings came up and the and all the brake pads have been replaced so , the car drives great its just feels the 1st gear is really bad, oh and the little strip that has the gears marked is missing, so i have not played with it too much, just go from Park,reverse,neutral then drive ,correct?

From Front To Back it goes

Park, Race, Netural, Drive , 3, 2, 1 (Correct me if I am wrong, I don't have the car with me)

So if you stick the car in Auto Drive what does it say on the display?

-Charles

From Front To Back it goes

Park, Race, Netural, Drive , 3, 2, 1 (Correct me if I am wrong, I don't have the car with me)

So if you stick the car in Auto Drive what does it say on the display?

-Charles
    IT has no display on the dash what gear it is in. I wonderded about that.
    is it where the message read out is, because I have yet to get the "Brake Linings" message off even after the brakes where changed. do you know how to clear that.

nothing lites up, where should it be ??

I can see where the "ED" light should light up , but I have never seen it come on

Ok, what does it say in the display when the car is in "A" mode and the gear shift is in the drive postion?

What about when the car is in "M" mode..

Have you tried sticking the car in "M" mode and using the sports shift starting from 1st gear?

edit: is there anything on the display like "Trans Program"... you could be stuck in limp mode. Also, have you tried the shogun reset?

-Charles

I also have tried all the gears and moved around a parking lot with either by pressing the M or the A and , nothing on the Dash changes ( keep in mind i got the brake linings message in the display now)

I can feel a change though, and What is a Shogun reset?

It's right to the right of the message read out, like where it says "Brake Linnings"

You can search for it... but I shamelessly lifted this

1. disconnect battery cables, first -, then +
    2. turn ignition on position II
    3. connect both battery cables ("short") for at least 10 minutes for drain of remaining power out of the system
    3.5(edit) Ensure that you don't manage to short the battery out, I suggest a blanket or something. If you short out the battery you will be bumming about more then just your shifting.
    4. ignition off
    5. connect battery cables again to battery, first +, then -

When you started the car in M1 then manual shifted to M2 did the car fill any better? I would think that chances are good that the bulbs could be out behind the display, they are not super hard to change out, just make sure you get the right ones.

-Charles
    Last edited by dacoyote; 07-06-2005 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Bad JoJo