GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: E34 shocks and springs guide

Default E34 shocks and springs guide

Which springs, shocks, struts to use seems to be a very reoccurring topic at the online forums. I searched through the bimmer.info and bimmerforums.com boards and put whatever I could find into one piece. The general idea is to have an E34 shocks/springs guide that lists the different options, prices, where to buy them and some pictures of E34s with different kits installed. It's not entirely done yet but you'll get the idea.

Lemme know if you read things that are incorrect or are having display problems etc, thanks!

shocks and springs guide

It lists the Boge shocks and Vogtland springs combo on there. Does this mean you can run the Vogtland with stock OE shocks? I thought you would need a lowered sport shock. Anyone have any insight?

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

Hey Lenny --

Bavarian recommends Bilstein Sports for the bav auto springs. Supposedly, that'll prevent bottoming out. Others say differently.

Best, whit

http://www.bmw4life.com/shocksSpringsGuide.htm

Lenny, I like it the webpage. With the H&R / koni setup in. I'll give you a few pictures.

I run the shocks on full soft. Koni recommend that you run the shocks this way and only adjust them to a firmer position when the shocks start to wear out. I don't think I'm that weak, but when I put all my body weight on one side on the car, I get about a 1/2" of compression that rebounds instantly. It defianlty makes the car firmer and you feel more road bumps, the tradeoff being that you can take corners at a signifcainlty faster speed. The car is definiatly more repsonsove laterally. After 15,000kms of driving with this setup, I would definitely do it again.

Maybe with every spring that you list could say if the spring is either progressive rate or singular rate. I know the H&R's are progressive. The koni's also are adjusatble only on rebound (you proabably already know this).

Maybe you could also provide a chart with the different spring rate measurements from the various manufacturers.

take care
    Last edited by BigKriss; 07-03-2005 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks for the great info. Pretty much all of the info I got from searching forums, so it's possible that some things aren't entirely correct. I'm going to update that page often with new info. The chart sounds like a great idea, I'll see what I can find. Lemme know (to anyone) if you're running a setup not listed there or have experiences, comments etc..

Quote Originally Posted by brodee
    It lists the Boge shocks and Vogtland springs combo on there. Does this mean you can run the Vogtland with stock OE shocks? I thought you would need a lowered sport shock. Anyone have any insight?
    I got that from a board member here, plpmotorsports, I'm pretty sure. He talks about this combo all the time. Hopefully he'll read this and elaborate on it.