GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help - Driveshaft won't separate

Default Help - Driveshaft won't separate

Making good progress in replacing flex fisk and center bearing. Driveshaft is out and nut connecting the two haves has been removed.

The two halves will not separate. It appears that the spline is stuck ( after 14+ years). Have tried banging lightly on the front of the driveshaft but I'm worried about damaging the driveshaft or knocking it out of balance.

any suggestions???

Thanks for older posts, they have help greatly to this point. I'm almost these if I can just get the new center bearing on.

One other questions. What type of grease should I use to repack the constant velocity joint at the rear of the driveshaft??

Thanks Mike Feeney
    Michael Feeney
    91 and 95 525i

good CV joing grease if you can get it, make sure you try to get as much old grease out cause sometimes it can seperare from each other..not a good thing.

As for seperating the halves you are just going to have to work on it. Try to use leverage somehow, heat, pounding to a minimum, just have to work it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thought the center bearing had to be pressed on, at least that is the way with the 2002. If pressed on, let the shop press off.

right Gene, as far as I read he cant get the halves apart, didnt even get to the center bearing yet
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Success - PB Blaster did the trick

Separated the halves by spraying PB Blaster into the grooves of the spline after the bolt was removed. Seems that after 14 years and no apparent MbS2 greese the two halves were stuck.

The center bearing was just pretty easy, just followed the ditrections on Bruno's website. Was very helpful to have a small puller, and was able to tap the new bearing on with a 1-1/8" extended socket.

Not sure that the greese in the CV joint should be black, so I'm off to pick up some CV joint greese and a new gasket.
    Michael Feeney
    91 and 95 525i