GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bumper removal.

Default bumper removal.

How do you get off those plastic rivets (i believe there are about 4-6 of them.) underneath the bumper trim. Also, for the two plastic circular things (that hold the side of the bumer) were broken, so I had to pry them out. Any chance of replacing these? And yea...that rubber peice that attacthes the the top of the bumper and seals the bumper to the fender, grill area fell off, so that is what I am trying to replace.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720
    How do you get off those plastic rivets (i believe there are about 4-6 of them.) underneath the bumper trim. Also, for the two plastic circular things (that hold the side of the bumer) were broken, so I had to pry them out. Any chance of replacing these? And yea...that rubber peice that attacthes the the top of the bumper and seals the bumper to the fender, grill area fell off, so that is what I am trying to replace.
    The plastic rivets (there's actually like 10 of them or so) hold the bumper carrier to the bumper cover. You don't want or need to remove these to yank the whole bumper assembly. Just remove the plastic adjusters on either side, unbolt the carrier from the bumper shocks, and take the whole unit off.

Actually, once you've unbolted the carrier, you might be able to slide the bumper out and down enough to get those rubber seals back on without removing the whole bumper. YMMV. And for what it's worth, removing those rivets is a pain, and will likely destroy them. They're cheap, but there's really no need to remove them.

Owner - Willamette Valley Motor Sports, LLC

okay, so just remove the two circle thing on the sides...and the 4 bolts up front...and pull away? I tried pulling it, and it felt pretty stuck on.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

I suck. I can't get the friggen bumper off.

~ Could it be that the body shop cut the metal peice behind the plastic bumper too close to the bolts coming out and its getting stuck?

Im able to jiggle the side...but the center is un-movable. I feel like I am about to break teh bumper. =,(

Are you suppose to pull straigh out? up and out? down and out?

www.KaRealtySF.com

I suck. I can't get the friggen bumper off.

~ Could it be that the body shop cut the metal peice behind the plastic bumper too close to the bolts coming out and its getting stuck?

Im able to jiggle the side...but the center is un-movable. I feel like I am about to break teh bumper. =,(

Are you suppose to pull straigh out? up and out? down and out?
    Where you removed the center adjusting pieces on either side; The bumper has a hollow pin (the plastic pieces fit inside this), you need to pull out on either side of the bumper from the wheel-arch section, and push/pull towards the front of the car. It'll probably feel like you're going to break the bumper, but you should be okay. The pins are and inch+ deep, and when you get the first one out, the bumper should come off easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Where you removed the center adjusting pieces on either side; The bumper has a hollow pin (the plastic pieces fit inside this), you need to pull out on either side of the bumper from the wheel-arch section, and push/pull towards the front of the car. It'll probably feel like you're going to break the bumper, but you should be okay. The pins are and inch+ deep, and when you get the first one out, the bumper should come off easily.

What about the center? Do I need to touch anything in the center besides the 4 bolts?

Thanks for all the help so far.

www.KaRealtySF.com

What about the center? Do I need to touch anything in the center besides the 4 bolts?

Thanks for all the help so far.
    There's nothing in the center but the four carrier bolts (nuts, actually..)

Hmm...okay. Ill give it a try again tommorow...=,( .. I broke my sidemarker too...so, now I have an excuse for buying the euro-trim.

thanks a bunch shaun

www.KaRealtySF.com

i left plastic circles on either side ON. i just removed the front 4 bolts. and pulled. you have to work the sides of slowly. Pull on the right side, straight out, hard about an inch. move to the left side, pull it hard out about an inch. do the same thing until its loose enough to pull at once from the center of the front. its pretty light so don't worry about needing lots of help. if you take the fog lights out its probably feather light, but i left mine in becuase i'm lazy

Quote Originally Posted by infinity5
    i left plastic circles on either side ON. i just removed the front 4 bolts. and pulled. you have to work the sides of slowly. Pull on the right side, straight out, hard about an inch. move to the left side, pull it hard out about an inch. do the same thing until its loose enough to pull at once from the center of the front. its pretty light so don't worry about needing lots of help. if you take the fog lights out its probably feather light, but i left mine in becuase i'm lazy

the center of my bumper will not budge an inch =x.The sides move pretty freely...Its just the center. =x. Stupid body shop made the cuts to close to the bolt. The cuts are actually touching the bolt and it looks like the metal would get lodged into the threads of the bolts.! grrrr.

www.KaRealtySF.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast