GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replaced motor mounts-two issues

Default Replaced motor mounts-two issues

Last weekend I replaced my rubber motor mounts as I assumed they were old enough to cause some vibration. The process went as everyone said except for two minor problems. When I used a floor Jack/block of wood under the oil pan to lift the engine I had the first problem.

Driver’s side replacement seemed to have gone without incident. However, the passenger side of the engine would not lift enough for the rubber mount to separate from the metal engine bracket. My solution was to place a jack stand under the passenger side engine mount bracket and lower the car just enough to separate the bracket and mount. It seemed to work fine.

Second issue was my fault. I forgot to take the bolts out of the radiator shroud. The fan moved up just enough to crack the plastic on the top bolt hole on the driver’s side. Fixed with washer and nut. Just be aware of the issue.

End result-the car seems a bit smoother and actually seems to sound a bit different. Now to replace the four trany mounts.
    Last edited by Russell; 07-01-2005 at 06:42 AM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

make sure you inspect the fan for cracks, old brittle fan blades make conversation pieces of hoods.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

yea there seems to be a rash of **** fans running around, i am getting a ton of cars and people needing 91 and up fans and repare from sploded fans

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    make sure you inspect the fan for cracks, old brittle fan blades make conversation pieces of hoods.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks- will do

hey there russell, me thinx ill have to be doing the same real soon cause of vibration and no dosh to get it done by any one else. given the untimely loss of info on the site do you have a copy of it to post, and could you give me your thoughts on how it went and your level of experience in tackling a job like this.eg how long did it take? was it harder than u thought? what kind of mileage did u have when u changed them .

many thanx
    mattyb p.s. what engine are we talking about i have a 540 93

Default Here you go-this should help

Try the following link. It explains the process. Keep in mind that mine is a 1995 525i 6 and yours is a 1993 V8 which is more expensive/time consuming. Read and follow my initial post and you will see mention of the minor problems I had. They may not be applicable to the V8. Also search the archives as there may be additional information. BTW, I had about 111,000 miles on the car when I changed them.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...ine/Mounts.htm

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb
    hey there russell, me thinx ill have to be doing the same real soon cause of vibration and no dosh to get it done by any one else. given the untimely loss of info on the site do you have a copy of it to post, and could you give me your thoughts on how it went and your level of experience in tackling a job like this.eg how long did it take? was it harder than u thought? what kind of mileage did u have when u changed them .

many thanx
    mattyb p.s. what engine are we talking about i have a 540 93
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

many thanx

Did not find any fan cracks- thanks for the reminder
    Thanks,

hey russell, thanx for the info. i did it on the weekend. what a bitch of a job, but im sure itll only take half an hour next time. i had only 2 mounts.as for the 5401 the site u sent me to said that the ezhaust needed dropping. not so. otherwise it was great. 10 mm spanner gets under the back nuts easy enough with only a bit of cursing. mounts were about $30 au ea.

i just did a 95 530s motor mounts today it's a fun job, in usa cars i noticed that unbolting the abs pump and lifting it a few inches helped with hitting the left 17mm nut with the 3' of extension and swivel socket, that was a sadistic bastard that designed that position

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb
    hey russell, thanx for the info. i did it on the weekend. what a bitch of a job, but im sure itll only take half an hour next time. i had only 2 mounts.as for the 5401 the site u sent me to said that the ezhaust needed dropping. not so. otherwise it was great. 10 mm spanner gets under the back nuts easy enough with only a bit of cursing. mounts were about $30 au ea.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast