GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: lock actuator help....

Default lock actuator help....

First of all advise, some advise to new owners. Don't try and lock your door with the key while the door is open. As advertised, this can (and did) fry the door lock actuator.

Second is the question. Do I need to unhook the battery or pull a fuse when installing a new lock actuator? The first time I installed new lock actuators on this car they all went in without a hitch. The next time (after the "open door" incident), while bolting the new/used actuator into place, I heard the actuator fire once - without me turning the lock- and it was fryed.

Perhaps the used actuator I was installing was faulty, but I want to make sure I am following proper procedure (if there is one) before I try again.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by motuman
    First of all advise, some advise to new owners. Don't try and lock your door with the key while the door is open. As advertised, this can (and did) fry the door lock actuator.

Second is the question. Do I need to unhook the battery or pull a fuse when installing a new lock actuator? The first time I installed new lock actuators on this car they all went in without a hitch. The next time (after the "open door" incident), while bolting the new/used actuator into place, I heard the actuator fire once - without me turning the lock- and it was fryed.

Perhaps the used actuator I was installing was faulty, but I want to make sure I am following proper procedure (if there is one) before I try again.

Thanks!!
    I wouldn't mess with any electrical component of the car without disconnecting the battery. The potential for messing something up outweighs the very minor inconvenience.

best, whit