GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M50 Still Missing?

Default M50 Still Missing?

I just stuck the new coil boots on, and I think she is still missing. I am not sure however, it could just be that I am listing so hard for it to miss or idle werid that I am picking up things it did before.

I only stuck about 15 miles on her with the new boots and stopped at work real quick to post this (Internet at Home down).. I left it running so I will see how it idles when I am back out there.

Do anyone have any more idea's? or could do a third party test drive and let me know if I am smoking something?

-Charles
    Cleveland, OH

Default Ouch

If you replaced the coils and it's still missing.. I had the same thing happen and tracked it down to the number 1 coil( I pulled the #1 coil off and the car ran the same.... I switch that coil with the a replacment and got the same result. So here's the bad part... When the coil went bad it smoked the DME for the #1 Cylinder. I had to replace the DME to fix... about $800 after searching the internet for a replacment.. Hope to heck it's not the DME... For good measure after replacing the DME ... I replaced all other coils for good measure.... If you see carmel on the coil stop now... Do not risk running or you could smoke the DME.....

it could be the coil packs getting weak or maybe a few injectors are done. The missing game sucks sometimes. At least you started at the least expensive part and are assured that it isnt something stupid...I did it in the reverse order and spent a ton of cash to find it was the boots.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Didn't replace the coils just the coil boots.

I don't see any carmel on the coils, however never seeing it before it's hard to tell.

I drove it about 60 miles today and here is the current knowledge I have

without AC on it idles fine, with the ocassinal "hickup"
    with AC on at idle it "hickup" a lot... prop every 5 - 10 seconds.
    from about 0 - 25 or so it feels like it it is missing... it barley shakes the car
    once I get about 25 its fine.. right till about 2500rpms... right there the car shakes...
    at freeway speed if I floor it.. I can count to about 4.. then the car shifts (I think) and the it starts to shake like it's missing.
    so to me that screams missing to me, any other car at this point.. I would start thinking that maybe the missing ruined the cat or something...

I don't have any idiot lights on other then the srs light (and I know why its on) I tried the stomp test and couldn't get it to work... (5 times gas petal to the floor and the light never goes off)

so far we have
    replace plugs
    replaced coil boots
    replaced oil / filter
    replaced valve cover gasket (at least it doesn't leak)

This last start was off a unhook the battery and connect a wire between the two leads.. it was like that for about 24 hours... now... it didn't reset the inspection/oil indicator.. all I needed was the radio code..

It was down to about the last 2 gallon of gas so I stuck another 8 gallons of 93 in it... it never has ran really good low on gas (but not as bad as it does now)

I am getting to my wits end on this and I just about ready to take it into the the guys a kolla to do a look over. So one question is... is it worth the money to take it in and have them tell me whats wrong.. or is a indy going to be in the same boat as me?

Lets see... to finish off my novel, everything was stock on the car untill I started working on it expect for the push button start I installed about 14 months ago now, I haven't pulled it apart but I doubt that the reason why (it's a long story, but thats why the srs light is on)

-Charles

Default Well at least it's not your DME:)

At least that's good news...

Whit,

I will give Brett a call in the morning, at the very least I would owe you all a cold one...

Thanks

Charles

My car was doing the same thing. Swapped the coils from the touring and it ran perfect. Bought 6 coils off ebay for $9 and I'm up and running find again.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

Well called KMS and will be bringing it in later today in the afternoon, It looks like it's a little west of 306 on 87, can someone please confirm that.

Wish me luck, hopefully the computer will have something insightful to say (with my luck it will run fine there... and run fine at the shop.. then die on the way back :-(

-Charles

Yeah.. there is a full set on ebay now..... they end in about 12 hours.. so will get them tonight... between 12 coils at least six should be good....

Quote Originally Posted by dacoyote
    Yeah.. there is a full set on ebay now..... they end in about 12 hours.. so will get them tonight... between 12 coils at least six should be good....
    That's what I figured. I was lucky enough to have a good set on the touring to test with.

FWIW - I had two bad ones and neither were leaking or showed any signs of being bad. Neither gave a code to the computer either.

1988 M3 - Track rat
    1989 325iC
    1995 530iM
    2000 323iT - UUC BBK, PSS9 Coilovers
    2005 GMC HD Crew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast