GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is wierd....20 MPH shimmy?

Default This is wierd....20 MPH shimmy? - SOLVED!

So I was leaving the gas station the other day and I heard a noise that can only be described as what it would sound like if I left the trunk open and it slammed shut while I was driving (which it didn't, because when I went out to check the trunk was locked, so it couldn't have been open), and now I have this strange wobble. I didn't hit anything in the road that I can tell.

It wobbles the most right at 20 MPH. Its definitely coming from the rear of the car (steering wheel doesn't wobble), and its definitely coming from the right side of the car (when I make left turns it gets worse, when I make right turns it goes away). I guess one tire could be extremely out of balance, but it really doesn't feel like thats it. It almost feels like its a "side to side" wobble. I haven't had a chance to get under there (just happened yesterday), but I will later on today.

On top of that, the reason I was leaving the gas station was that I was driving from West Palm beach to Gainesville (~300 miles) and yet nothing out of the ordinary on the drive up other than a little more road vibration than normal. The entire time I was going between 90 and 95. At 45 Mph, I can't feel a thing.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by DanDombrowski; 06-28-2005 at 08:04 PM.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Default suspension bushing?

Is it possilbe that a suspension related failure would cause the problem. Perhaps a bushing has failed causing the wheel to be misaligned at low speed. At higher speeds the wheel "self aligns" dure to rotational forces? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDombrowski
    So I was leaving the gas station the other day and I heard a noise that can only be described as what it would sound like if I left the trunk open and it slammed shut while I was driving (which it didn't, because when I went out to check the trunk was locked, so it couldn't have been open), and now I have this strange wobble. I didn't hit anything in the road that I can tell.

It wobbles the most right at 20 MPH. Its definitely coming from the rear of the car (steering wheel doesn't wobble), and its definitely coming from the right side of the car (when I make left turns it gets worse, when I make right turns it goes away). I guess one tire could be extremely out of balance, but it really doesn't feel like thats it. It almost feels like its a "side to side" wobble. I haven't had a chance to get under there (just happened yesterday), but I will later on today.

On top of that, the reason I was leaving the gas station was that I was driving from West Palm beach to Gainesville (~300 miles) and yet nothing out of the ordinary on the drive up other than a little more road vibration than normal. The entire time I was going between 90 and 95. At 45 Mph, I can't feel a thing.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default Could be a missing balance weight...

but I doubt it would give you shimmy at that low speed (20Mph)...???
    Anyway, just get the tires balances 1st, since it's a cheap quick fix.

Also, I would check the shocks, drive shaft & drive train to make sure it's in a good working condition.

Good luck...
    '95 BMW-540i/Auto (ZF-5HP30)...NO reverse
    "Original" Nikasil block (+ Fristo Lays Chip)
    87+ K Miles

Hmmm, failing or failed wheel bearing, or brakes related, or a steel radial belt slipped? Does it get hot on that side after a trip down the road? Otherwise, there are a few suspension parts back there. Could some wheel balancing weights have fallen off, of course, that wouldn't have caused the noise you heard. Let us know what you find!

Well, just my luck. I got out there and decided that I would:

1) Put my full size spare on to see if it is a wheel balancing issue (or if the rim is serverely bent, oompa loompa caught in the wheel well, etc) and to have a look around the suspension without the rear wheel on.

2) Put the car up on ramps and have a look around

So I get the wheel off and I swear the rainclouds just crept up behind me and it started to pour....so I won't be able to get the wheel off and switched until later on tonight or tomorrow, but I'll definitely let you guys know what I found out.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think about the suspension bushing thing. I know I said that I didnt feel anything at 45, but driving today I can slightly feel it, so it is still there, just not as noticeable. Hopefully none of the bushings are one that have to be pressed in and I can replace them myself.

Will post back soon!

Default Have you checked the CV boots to see if they're still in place?

If one (or a piece of one) got slung off and hit in front of the gas tank it could sound like it came from the trunk.
    Mark Hall
    '95 525iA EAT chipped (just one now )
    '98 528iA

does it sound like doonk?

bet you popped a band in the tire, try to roll it along and check if its wobbling. mannn if it is doing a long trip at 90 is really testing your luck!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by DanDombrowski

Any ideas?
    I'm probably way off here, but are all your wheels still held on by 5 studs? Have you broke one?

Cheers,

Shaun

Default And The Winner Is......jeff!

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    bet you popped a band in the tire, try to roll it along and check if its wobbling. mannn if it is doing a long trip at 90 is really testing your luck!
    Hit the nail on the head Jeff. I took the tire off today and said "Damn, whatever in my suspension broke caused my tire to wear way down on the inside!", and then when I rotated it around, the tread was fine. I rolled it around and noticed a big bulge right in one section of it, so I swapped on the spare and the wobble is gone. Too bad these tires aren't under warranty, now I have to go get a new one before I drive back to west palm (or drive the whole way on the spare).

Thanks for your input everyone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast