GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Elipsoid take apart instructions?

Default Elipsoid take apart instructions?

I am wondering how, or if I should, take apart my elipsoid low beams in order to clean the lenses. They seem to look dusty and I think it may be cutting my light output.

Any suggestions? I have already converted the low beams to 9005 bulbs (and re-aimed... Nobody seems to be flashing their lights at me!)

Are they US spec? If so you can't take them apart. US spec are just known for sucking...my e30's us ellipsoids were 10x better than the e34's ellipsoids - don't know why.

I read that if you take them out and rinse with soapy water it gets the oxidation (ozone?) out, I dont think theres enough room to get anything in there to wipe it out.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

i wouldn't put water in my lenses, they get fogged up enough as it is.

Default I took my ellipsoids apart when installing the 9012 hir bulbs.

There was quite a bit of dust in there. Once the grills are removed, the headlight frame removal is apparent. The lense base is attached with 3 non-tamper screws. I replaced these with automotive screws. Vise grips may help in removing the non-tamper screws.
    I wiped one inner shield too vigorously, removing some of the metallic paint. The lesnes cleaned up for a noticeable improvement. I guess after 16 years, dirt gets everywhere.
    erased due to slander

that about covers it

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    There was quite a bit of dust in there. Once the grills are removed, the headlight frame removal is apparent. The lense base is attached with 3 non-tamper screws.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

BS. You can take them apart. See Martin's post below.

And the US spec work fine - especially if you do the 9006 swap per BWMe34.net.

Clean 'em and swap to the 9006 bulbs. You'll love them.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by epj3
    Are they US spec? If so you can't take them apart. US spec are just known for sucking...my e30's us ellipsoids were 10x better than the e34's ellipsoids - don't know why.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    BS. You can take them apart. See Martin's post below.

And the US spec work fine - especially if you do the 9006 swap per BWMe34.net.

Clean 'em and swap to the 9006 bulbs. You'll love them.

Jeff
    my 9005 low beams suck a lot, nothing near the focus my e30's had. btw 9006 is a downgrade.

That's why I'm saving for smileys

I cleaned mine some month ago. Much better light now.
    Here is an info from the E32. But be careful with the lense, it is plastic.
    http://www.8ung.at/behrens_homepage/...headlights.htm

Sorry again. I have the euro's and they really aren't that different. Little better illumination in front of the car due to the fill from the smiley but that's about it.

I bet yours suck because the reflector material is shot. Or they are dirty. Or both. If these lights ever get water in them due to a rock hit, the reflector material dies. No projection for the projector = no light down the road. And you can't really tell if you a problem until you get them apart. The relectorized ring around the projector lens keeps you from seeing the condition of the aft reflector.

These lights have a vent and after 10+ years of heat cycling in one of the dirtiest parts of car, they suck in lots of dust. Kills the performance.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by epj3
    my 9005 low beams suck a lot, nothing near the focus my e30's had. btw 9006 is a downgrade.

That's why I'm saving for smileys
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy