GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3.46lsd to 3.64lsd worth while?

Default 3.46lsd to 3.64lsd worth while?

I'm thinking of buying an 80k mile 3.64lsd for $500 + $50 s/h (usd) from an E32 735i, to replace my current 3.46lsd. Is this a worth while upgrade from the 3.46? I'd like to do anything to get shorter gears and faster acceleration, especially on the highway. It seems most people who do this upgrade start out with a 3.46 open diff. I really don't think I want to go with the 3.91 becuase I'm not tracking the car, and still need to get a few miles per $2.33/gallon of gas.

If this isn't really that worth-while of an upgrade - I'll just save myself some time and do my suspension...If I do the differential, I'll do it in the next few weeks - and then do suspension late june. If I do suspension first, I'll do the suspension mid june, so not a big difference.

So really long post short, after the $350 i can get for my current differential... is the 3.64 worth my $200?

no way man, thats way too much unless you make a lot of money to pitch into a car (I dont). that gear ratio difference wont even be noticable anyways, LSD is cool and a drug but the 'posi' has its pros if you hammer the pedel a lot and experience a lot of spin around turns and stuff.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    no way man, thats way too much unless you make a lot of money to pitch into a car (I dont). that gear ratio difference wont even be noticable anyways, LSD is cool and a drug but the 'posi' has its pros if you hammer the pedel a lot and experience a lot of spin around turns and stuff.
    I already have a limted slip. If I didn't, I would've done this swap already

I'm a pro with the cons of having an lsd due to my 1988 325is. Talk about a TAIL HAPPY car.

Anyone here have a 3.91 lsd? I don't care about loosing top end, just dont want to end up with 12 mpg city and 16 mpg highway.
    Last edited by epj3; 05-14-2005 at 11:26 PM.

i say go for it,
    it will accelerate much better
    originally by Rollingon20strong:
    hey thanks jeff for the info good LOOking out
    aka Dan and that cat ja ja ja takes care of my baby jaja

I figure with a 3.91 it'll put the rpm's at certain speeds at around the same as my friends e36 and my former e30 (little longer than the e30 still). When I don't drive like a maniac (10% of the time...haha), I average mid 17 mpg city and around 22 - 24 mpg highway if I can keep it around 70. As long as I can keep above 15 mpg city and 20 mpg highway, I would DEFINITELY do the 3.91 swap. I dont' care about what rpm the engine is spinning at...the m30 would probably WELCOME running at higher rpm's on the highway!
    //Edit: After reading bruno's site, it says the 3.91 would be a decrease of 2 - 3 mpg on the highway. Not bad - I imagine city would be more like 1 - 2 (or about the same).

If I go with this, my 3.46 lsd will be for sale!
    Last edited by epj3; 05-15-2005 at 12:36 AM.

I'm running a 3.73 LSD from a 90 525i manual. Straight bolt in. IIR, you have to swap the flange on the 3.64 unit.

I like mine. Martin has a 3.64 unit and likes his.

I'm turning about 2800 RPMs at 70mph - up from just around 2200. I do mostly in town driving so it's not a big deal.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    wtf are u talking about? have u done this swap?
    its a HUGE difference. every gear feels like a passing gear

i went from 3.46open to 3.64lsd

its worth it, come drive my car dude and u can see for yourself.

as far as what u should do, i believe in suspension tires then go fast for the
    mod work

Quote Originally Posted by bahnstormer
    wtf are u talking about? have u done this swap?
    its a HUGE difference. every gear feels like a passing gear

i went from 3.46open to 3.64lsd

its worth it, come drive my car dude and u can see for yourself.

as far as what u should do, i believe in suspension tires then go fast for the
    mod work

He'd get pulled over for illegal low beams

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    He'd get pulled over for illegal low beams

actually its okay now
    i got the one ticket, and i just carry it aroudn with me
    been pulled over twice more for the lights and just wave
    the ticket at em and continue my merry way ahhah
    i'm invincable!

Default Agreed, what the hell is he talking about?

Installing the 3.64lsd was a noticeable improvement for my 535i 5 speed.
    I question that $500 price, as I got one shipped for about half that from Jim at autobahn in Sandy Eggo.
    erased due to slander

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast